Texas A&M infielder Kaeden Kent (3) celebrates a home run during Texas A&M’s game against Tennessee at the NCAA Men’s College World Series finals at Charles Schwab Field in Omaha, Nebraska on Saturday, June 22, 2024. (Hannah Harrison/The Battalion)
Winning 9 to 5: A&M beats Tennessee in Game 1 of College World Series finals
Luke White, Sports Editor • June 23, 2024

While Texas A&M baseball had never appeared in the College World Series finals before Saturday, the Aggies played as if they were seasoned...

Buzz Williams a possible candidate for men’s basketball head coaching job

Photo by Photo by Cassie Stricker

Billy Kennedy served as the Aggie men’s basketball head coach for eight seasons with a final record of 151-116.

Following the firing of long-time men’s basketball head coach Billy Kennedy, Texas A&M is rumored to be closing in on Virginia Tech’s Buzz Williams to take the job in Aggieland.
According to Adam Zagoria of the New York Times, the move for Williams is a “done” deal, and a separate report from Jon Rothstein from CBS Sports stated that A&M is prepared to offer him a multi-year contract worth at least $3.5 million each season.
The Greenville, Texas, native has direct ties to A&M, being an assistant coach under Billy Gillispie from 2004-2006.
However, Williams told Yahoo Sports that he would not address the subject after losing to Duke in the Sweet 16, 75-73.
“I don’t think there’s an answer to that when I have no evidence other than what you guys have been writing. I have no idea. All that’s been created by you guys. I don’t address it. I don’t think there’s an appropriate way to address it,” Williams told Yahoo Sports.
Williams led the Hokies to the most successful season since being hired in 2014, reaching the Sweet Sixteen and posting a 26-9 overall record. Williams has led Virginia Tech to the NCAA Tournament each of the last three seasons.
Prior to his tenure in Blacksburg, Williams was also successful in his same role at Marquette, leading the Golden Eagles to the NCAA Tournament five of the six seasons while he was in Milwaukee. Three of those trips to the tournament included two Sweet Sixteen appearances and one Elite Eight appearance.