Calzada enters transfer portal

Photo by Photo by Robert O’Brien

Redshirt sophomore QB Zach Calzada (10) throws the ball during the Aggies’ game against LSU at Tiger Stadium on Saturday, Nov. 27, 2021.

On Monday, Dec. 13, it was announced that redshirt sophomore quarterback Zach Calzada entered the transfer portal. 

Originally named the backup quarterback, the Sugar Hill, Ga., native was thrown into the fire after freshman starting quarterback Haynes King went down with a fractured tibia against Colorado.

Since then, Calzada led the Aggies to an 8-4 season. He finished with 2,185 yards, 17 passing touchdowns and nine interceptions. However, his biggest accomplishment was leading A&M to a 41-38 upset over No. 1 Alabama, a feat only two Aggie quarterbacks have ever done. 

Calzada went to Twitter to thank the 12th Man.

https://twitter.com/zachcalzada/status/1470450258920493062?s=21

Calzada’s toughness throughout the season nicknamed him “The Glow Stick.” On multiple occasions, he left the game due to injury just to come back out good as new. Fans have coined the term because he has to be “broken before he shines.”

In addition to entering the transfer portal, Calzada has opted out of A&M’s Gator Bowl on Friday, Dec. 31 against Wake Forest. This decision will now force freshman walk-on quarterback Blake Bost onto the field or cause King to return after being out all season from injury.