Chavis and Spavital discuss early impressions of Fall camp

Photo by Tim Lai

Defensive Coordinator John Chavis answers questions after football practice on Tuesday, August 11th.

Texas A&M is still just getting things started at Fall camp and both offensive coordinator, Jake Spavital and defensive coordinator, John Chavis like what they are seeing. 
“I’m very pleased with everybody right now, especially with the effort that they’re giving,” said Spavital. “I think that if we can keep continuing to get better they’re going to be pretty decent out there.” 
On the offensive side of the ball most of the focus has seemed to gravitate toward the three man battle for the starting quarterback job. According to Spavital, Kyle Allen, Kyler Murray and Jake Hubenak are all still splitting first-team reps and it will remain that way until the players start to set themselves apart. 
“For two weeks we’ve got to throw everything at them and try to get one to separate themselves,” said Spavital. 
When speaking about the lone freshman in the mix, Spavital made a comparison that will be sure to excite the Aggie faithful. 
“He’s a special player,” said Spavital regarding Kyler Murray. “The thing that is pretty impressive with him is that sometimes when he doesn’t know what’s going on exactly, when you’re throwing a lot of plays at him, he has a football savvy to him. If the pocket collapses he just turns and goes and makes something happen, very similar to how Johnny used to play.”
Regardless of who enters the season as the starter, Spavital says “it’s very comforting” to have three guys on the roster that he feels confident can get the job done on Saturday’s. 
The competition level in practice has been very beneficial to the development of players on offense and defense alike. Both Chavis and Spavital spoke of how facing guys on the opposite side of the ball has pushed them and how it is going to help better prepare them for in-game situations. 
“Chief brings a very aggressive mentality to the defense,” said Spavital. “So you have to bring it each play, there are no off plays, especially with the perimeter guys.”
Coach “Chief” Chavis may be new to Texas A&M but he has already familiarized himself with every one of his players by watching every snap of defense that they played last season. In addition to being properly prepared, Chavis makes sure that his players give full effort and go full speed in everything that they do, whether it be on or off the field. 
“It’s fast paced, it’s not going to get any faster than we’re going right now,” said Chavis concerning the Aggies’ practice. “We go out and run 50 plays in three minutes or less, so that’s pretty fast.”
Freshman defensive tackle, Daylon Mack is one player that fans are hoping will stay up to speed and progress to reach his potential. Chief seems optimistic of Mack’s progression. 
“You see it every year, high school guys come in and make the transition and I think that Daylon is mature enough that he is handling this well,” said Chavis. “He knows he’s got to work.”
Taking a look at the Aggies in the defensive backfield, Coach Chavis was eager to recognize the amount of talent that former running back, Brandon Williams brings to the table. 
“I’ll assure you this, there won’t be many guys that will line up at that position that are more talented than him,” said Chavis. 
Whether it was Daylon Mack or Kyle Allen, offense or defense, the coaches seemed to be pleased with the way things are shaping up in the early days of camp. 
Practice resumes Wednesday afternoon at 5:45 pm. 

• Offensive Coordinator Jake Spavital comments on A&M’s progress on Tuesday, August 11th. 

Photo by Tim Lai
  • Daylon Mack

Photo by Tim Lai
  • Daylon Mack

Photo by Tim Lai