Chennedy Carter receives All-American honors following Sweet 16 loss

Sophomore guard Chennedy Carter smiles as she shoots her free throws with 0.9 seconds left on the clock.

Texas A&M women’s basketball guard Chennedy Carter earned her second consecutive All-American honor on Monday — an Honorable Mention selection from the Associated Press.
Carter’s honor made her the fifth two-time All-American in school history and is the seventeenth in program history. The sophomore joins A’Quonesia Franklin, Takia Starks, Danielle Adams and Courtney Walker as two-time All-American honorees from A&M.
The announcement of Carter’s selection, which is voted on before the NCAA Tournament, comes just two days after Carter’s season came to an end with the Aggies’ 87-80 loss to Notre Dame in the Sweet 16 round of the NCAA Tournament. In the loss, Carter posted a season-high 35 points.
Carter wrapped up her sophomore season with an eighth-best national average of 23.3 points per game — though during the NCAA Tournament she posted an average of 30.7 points — and was the Southeastern Conference’s leading scorer with 22.9 points.
Carter also set school records for consecutive 10-plus point games (39), career 20-plus point games (47), career 30-plus point games (11), sophomore season scoring (676) and fewest games to reach 1,000 career points (45).
Throughout the season, Carter earned First Team All-SEC honors, SEC Player of the Week twice and MVP at the Maui Jim Maui Classic.
Carter’s sophomore performance helped A&M to a 26-8 season record, which was its best since the 2010-2011 season.