Christian Kirk calls it a career at Texas A&M, declares for NFL Draft

Photo by Cassie Stricker

Junior Christian Kirk made a 90-yard punt return, bringing his tally up to six punt returns.

On the three year anniversary of his commitment to play at Texas A&M, junior wide receiver Christian Kirk has declared for the 2018 NFL draft.
In a statement released on Twitter, Kirk took the time to reflect on his career at Texas A&M, calling it ‘one of the best decisions of my life.’ 

In his final game representing  A&M, Kirk was one of the major forces that kept the Aggies in the game after a first half plagued by penalties. Kirk’s 52-yard and 10-yard touchdown receptions from redshirt quarterback Nick Starkel at the end of the first half kept the Aggies within 10 points of the Demon Deacons.
Kirk continued to roll to start the third quarter with a 9-yard touchdown to put the Aggies within three. Later in the game Kirk would be caught in the cross fire and suffered an apparent ankle injury that had him withering in pain.
However, in true ‘Captain Kirk’ fashion he returned to the game and remained one of Starkel’s main targets. In Kirk’s final collegiate game, he had a career high 13 receptions for 189 yards and three touchdowns. Kirk also became the fifth Aggie  in school history to hit receive double digit touchdowns in a season.  
Kirk finishes his career at A&M second on the all-time receptions list at 234 which is also third all-time in the SEC. Leads the program in punt returns with six. Third on receiving touchdowns with 26 and third with receiving yard with 2,856 yards. At the conclusion of the 2017 season, Kirk was given First Team All-SEC honors as an all purpose player and Second Team All-SEC wide receiver.
In his three seasons at A&M, Kirk instantly became a force on the A&M offense regardless of the six starting quarterbacks he played with while at A&M.
Kirk’s junior season was filled with several challenges including being the only returning player in the receiving corps to have significant playing time, another season with several starting quarterbacks and Kevin Sumlin, the coach which recruited Kirk, being fired at the conclusion of the regular season.
However, Kirk finished his final season with 71 receptions for 919 yards and 10 touchdowns, all which led the team.
During his sophomore season, Kirk was targeted 83 times for 928 yards with nine touchdowns averaging 71.4 yards a game, which was second on the team. 
Kirk burst onto the college football scene his freshman season as one of the most dangerous multi-talented athletes in the SEC. Leading the team in receptions with 80 receptions for 1,009 yards and seven touchdowns. On special teams, Kirk had two punt returns for a touchdown.