Christian Kirk takes home SEC Freshman of the Year award

Photo by Photo by: Jena Floyd

Christian Kirk receiving a perfect pass. 

Texas A&M wide receiver Christian Kirk was named the SEC Freshman of the Year on Wednesday. In the conference’s annual awards voted on by the coaches, Kirk became the second player in school history to garner the prestigious award, the other being Johnny Manziel in 2012.
The electric do-it-all receiver from Scottsdale, Arizona, lined up all over the field this season for Jake Spavital’s offense. After a huge debut to the season, when Kirk scored two long touchdowns, he became the focal point of the offense. He trailed only running back studs Derrick Henry (Alabama) and Leonard Fournette (LSU) in all-purpose yards per game among SEC players, and finished the regular season by setting the A&M freshman record for all-purpose yards in a single season.
Kirk was a threat to score every time he touched the ball, and he led all Aggies with eight touchdowns, two of which came on punt returns. He was the first A&M player to return more than one punt for a touchdown since 1993.
He also led the team in receptions, receiving yards and also recorded 45 rushing yards on 10 carries. Kirk was one of the SEC’s most effective big-play offensive players, as he exhibited an uncanny ability to create big chunks of yardage every time he touched the ball.
Kirk and the Aggies will get back on the field on Dec. 30 for the American Mortgage Music City Bowl against Louisville. If Kirk can rack up more than 65 yards against the Cardinals, he will become the first Aggie since Mike Evans to reach the 1000-yard plateau in receiving.