Courtney Walker becomes A&M’s all-time leading scorer

Photo by Photo by: Morgan Engel

Guard Courtney Walker had 29 points in the Aggies’ first round win over Missouri State. It was a career-high scoring total in an NCAA Tournament game.

Courtney Walker became Texas A&M’s all-time leading scorer in Monday night’s second-round game against Florida State, putting an exclamation point on her illustrious four-year career.

Walker made a layup in the second quarter against the Seminoles, surpassing Takia Starks’ previous record of 1,977 points. The Edmond, Oklahoma, native led the SEC in scoring this season with 18.1 points per game and scored at least 10 points in 31 of A&M’s 32 games.

In addition to her scoring record, she also ends her career as the A&M all-time leader in 20-point games, field goals and free-throw percentage. She is one of four two-time All-Americans in program history, was named First Team All-SEC for the past three seasons and will likely be named an All-American for the third time when the teams are released next week.

A&M head coach Gary Blair called Walker the “best mid-range shooter in America” and also said that she will be a sought-after prospect in the upcoming WNBA draft.

“She’s going to be playing pro ball ,because they’re not fools,” Blair said. “They’re going to go after Walker, and she’s going to be a first-round draft choice, mark my words on that.”