Current and former A&M football players declare for NFL Draft ahead of April draft date

Photo by Photo by Jesse Everett

Junior running back Trayveon Williams chose to forgo his senior year of eligibility to pursue a career in the NFL. He is one of the few Aggies moving on to play football professionally.

While the college football season has come to a close, Monday was the deadline for underclassmen to declare for the 2019 NFL Draft. The complete list of players that have been granted eligibility for the NFL Draft will be released on Friday. Below are the Aggie underclassmen who are hoping to hear their names called, including former A&M quarterback Kyler Murray.
Kyler Murray, redshirt junior quarterback
Following a less-than-stellar freshman season for A&M football in 2015, Kyler Murray transferred to the University of Oklahoma. After sitting out a year due to NCAA transfer rules, he became the backup to Baker Mayfield during his 2017 Heisman campaign season. Murray drew attention to himself after a successful 2018 baseball season for Oklahoma and was then selected as the ninth overall pick in the MLB Draft by the Oakland A’s. The A’s agreed to allow Murray to continue playing college football which led him to a Heisman-winning 2018 season while recording the second highest passing efficiency rating in FBS history. With his eyes on a bigger payday and without having to go to the minor leagues, Murray officially announced his decision to declare for the NFL Draft on Monday afternoon.
Trayveon Williams, junior running back
A 236-yard and three-touchdown production in the 2018 TaxSlayer Gator Bowl pushed Trayveon Williams to become the program’s third leading overall rusher of all time, and put him at 1,760 yards this season for a new single-season rushing record. His second 1,000-yard season made him a semifinalist for the Doak Walker Award and First Team SEC Honors. Williams, the SEC leading rusher with 1,524 yards and 15 touchdowns, announced on Jan. 3 that he was declaring for the NFL Draft, forgoing his senior season with the Aggies.
Jace Sternberger, junior tight end
After arriving at A&M as a junior college prospect and one of Jimbo Fisher’s first recruits as head coach, Jace Sternberger proved to be a major force on the A&M offense this season, leading the team with 10 touchdowns, 832 receiving yards, 48 receptions and earning First Team All-American honors. Sternberger led the nation and set a program single-season record for the most touchdowns by a tight end. Following his only season as an Aggie, Sternberger announced his decision to declare for the draft on Jan. 1, just one day after A&M defeated North Carolina State in the 2018 TaxSlayer Gator Bowl.
Tyrel Dodson, junior linebacker
Tyrel Dodson continued to be a leader on the defensive side in the 2018 season after tallying a team-high 105 tackles his sophomore season. Dodson ended his last season with A&M’s second most tackles, with a total of 70. Dodson’s announcement on Jan. 2 to declare for the NFL Draft and forgo his senior season was not one that many saw coming, but his name is still expected to be called early on.
Erik McCoy, junior center
Through most of his time at A&M, Erik McCoy has been the highest performing and one of the most versatile offensive linemen. After his 2015 redshirt season, McCoy went on to start in all of his 39 games for the Aggies at center and guard. Following his announcement on Jan. 3 to forgo his redshirt senior season and declare for the draft, McCoy is currently listed as the third best center available in the draft.