Deshazor Everett on life in the NFL

Deshazor+Everett
Photo by File
Deshazor Everett

After a solid career at Texas A&M, cornerback Deshazor Everett has faced an uphill climb trying to make a name for himself in the NFL.

Everett gathered 218 total tackles, 26 pass breakups, nine tackles for losses and five interceptions with four total touchdowns during his time at A&M from 2011 to 2014.

Everett was signed by the Buccaneers shortly after the NFL draft but was cut before training camp. He then signed with the Washington Redskins on Aug. 1. Everett became a member of the active roster on Oct. 3 and said that gave him confidence.

“It goes to show that even though I didn’t do the best I could in college and have the best career I could have, if I work hard then people will see my ability,” Everett said. “It’s not easy coming from the bottom being undrafted. Every Sunday I’m out there trying to prove to people that I’m one of those undrafted guys that help the team. I want to earn my keep around here so every day I come out and work hard.”

The DeRidder, Louisiana native said he learns from their experiences of veteran NFL defensive backs DeAngelo Hall and Chris Culliver, who give him a lot of pointers.

“I take advice from all of those guys because they’ve been around the game for so long,” Everett said. “They’ve seen so much, so any advice you get from those guys you want to take to improve your game. One day you’ll be in their shoes so you want to know what they know so you can be a better player.”

Everett is also teammates with former Texas Longhorn quarterback Colt McCoy. Everett said while they joke about the rivalry, McCoy was the most helpful when Everett first arrived in Washington.

“Colt, he’s a good guy,” Everett said. “When I first got here in Ashburn, Virginia, where the facilities are, I was waiting because I didn’t have my car here or anything because I had just got here. I was waiting and [Colt] was like ‘Do you need a ride?’ and he gave me a ride home and we talked about all that on the way home. He’s an older guy though, so I never played against him, but we talk to each other about the past times [between Texas A&M and Texas].”

Current A&M defensive end Daeshon Hall, who played with Everett for two years on defense, said he admired Everett when he was here and enjoys seeing his hard work pay off.

“Deshazor is my boy,” Hall said. “Every time he comes back here he always talks to us [and gives us advice]. It’s always fun seeing one of your teammates having success in the NFL. I just remember him balling against Arkansas. He was SEC defensive player of the week. I always looked to him as a great defensive player and a leader.”

Everett made his first tackle against the New York Jets on Oct. 18 in week six of the regular season, and while that was a big moment for him, Everett said he is ready for more.

“Before I made one I missed more,” Everett said. “When I first made one I was thinking ‘I’m here for a reason man I can really do this.’ You make one and you want to make another. Then you have the lead the team mentality. I go out there and challenge myself. I tell the coach I’m going to go out there and make the most tackles today. It all starts with in practice setting yourself up to make tackles.”

A&M running back Tra Carson, who played with Everett at A&M from 2011-2014, said he enjoys seeing Everett achieve his dreams.

“It’s very humbling,” Carson said. “Deshazor works very hard and he’s a good player. He was a good player here. I mean that’s very exciting to see him take the path that he had to in order to get there.”

Everett said growing up he wanted to be a professional supercross racer but after being introduced to football he knew what his calling was. At the end of the day he plays the game of football for his family and so he can get the best out of life.

“God gave me the ability to go out there and play football and why not use it to go to the next level and to make money and provide for my family,” Everett said. “Other than that going to play in college was a way to get myself a free education. I took the best and ran with it.”