Junior P Emily Kennedy (11) pitches the ball during the Aggie softball teams Maroon & White game on Friday, Oct. 27, 2023 at Davis Diamond (Katelynn Ivy/The Battalion).
A&M advances to Super Regionals with run-rule victory over Texas State

When Texas State softball senior RHP Jessica Mullins and Texas A&M junior LHP Emiley Kennedy each started Sunday’s Bryan-College Station...

Dettmer kennels Georgia with nine strikeouts

Photo by Robert O’Brien

Sophomore pitcher Nathan Dettmer (35) throws a pitch in the first inning during the Aggies’ game against Fordham at Blue Bell Park on Friday, Feb. 18, 2022.

Winning a game on the road is hard — winning a game on the road against a ranked opponent is even harder. 

On April 14, Texas A&M baseball defeated No. 13 ranked Georgia with a dominant eight inning performance from sophomore pitcher Nathan Dettmer and a couple home runs from the maroon and white bats.

This victory marks the Aggies’ fifth win this season against a top-25 team, their fourth win on the road. 

After hitting his first homer of the season against Kentucky on April 7, graduate catcher Troy Claunch hit a solo moonshot to tie the game at one in the top of the second inning.

One inning later, junior outfielder Brett Minnich hit an RBI double to gain A&M its first lead of the game. 

With the score at 2-1 in the top of the fifth, graduate outfielder Dylan Rock hit a three-run homer over the left field wall to give the Aggies a 5-1 lead and secure three of the four RBIs total the Sugarland native brought in.

“It was a close game at that point,” Rock said. “He left the change-up up, got a lot of barrel on it, carried out and gave us a good lead.”

Claunch finished the night hitting twice at five at-bats, while Rock was only able to put together one hit, however, finished with four RBIs. 

Junior outfielder Jordan Thompson led the team in runs scored with three and acted as a ball-magnet after being struck twice by Georgia.

“Jordan [Thompson] got on base three times, played a good center field and got a big double,” A&M coach Jim Schlossnagle said. “He’s a guy that put up numbers last year in the opportunity that he got to play. So, we’re trying to give him a chance.”

As for the mound, Dettmer pitched a career-high in strikeouts with nine and a career-long eight innings pitched only allowing five hits, one unearned run and did not give up a single walk. 

When asked what pitch was working best for him in the SEC matchup, Dettmer said “all of it.”

“I knew it was going to be a special day,” Dettmer said. “Troy [Claunch] worked for me and my defense worked for me. I couldn’t have done it without them.”

Freshman pitcher Ryan Prager relieved Dettmer in the last inning and picked up a strikeout of his own, securing an A&M victory.

The first pitch of Game 2 of the Aggies’ three-game series against No. 13 Georgia will be thrown at 5 p.m. on April 15 at Foley Field.