Distin named SEC Outdoor Scholar-Athlete of the Year

Photo by Ishika Samant
Senior Lamara Distin leaps over the during the NCAA Outdoor Track and Field Championships on Saturday, June 10, 2023 and Mike A. Myers Stadium in Austin, Texas (Ishika Samant/The Battalion)

It might be time for Lamara Distin to invest in a bigger trophy case for her living room.

Texas A&M track and field’s high jump senior added to her trophy case with SEC Outdoor Scholar-Athlete of the Year honors on Wednesday, May 8. The accolade comes after she was named the SEC Indoor Co-Scholar-Athlete of the Year in February.

Over three outdoor competitions this spring, Distin grabbed titles in the 44 Farms Team Invitational on April 5-6 and the Corky/Crofoot Shootout on April 26-27. Her leap of 6-5/1.96-meters at the 44 Farms Team Invitational is the best mark in the nation. The Jamaica product came in second at the Tom Jones Memorial Invitational on April 12-13.

While maintaining a spot on The Bowerman Watch List, Distin also stood out in the classroom with a 3.5 GPA while studying sport management and a graduate certificate in leadership, education theory and practice. She has made the Athletic Director Honor Roll over each of her semesters in Aggieland.

Distin will look to retain the conference outdoor high jump crown for the third season in a row at the SEC Outdoor Championships on May 9-11 in Gainesville, Florida. In 2022, she jumped 6-4.75/1.95m before a 6-3.25/1.91m measurement in 2023.