Donovan Brazier starts professional career

Photo by Errol Anderson

Donavan Braizer broke a 50 year collegiate record, becoming the first freshman since 1988 to win a NCAA title

Less than a week after being named USA Track and Field Athlete of the week, freshman Donavan Brazier announced he would be pursuing a professional career.
While donning the maroon and white, Brazier broke a 50-year-old NCAA record in the 800m, by clocking in a time of 1:43.55. Brazier currently ranks third in the world and leads the United States in his event.
Texas A&M head coach Pat Henry told 12thman.com that although he was hesitant about Brazier’s decision, he was going to remain supportive.
“Donavan is a very, very talented young athlete and this is a decision he has made with his family,” Henry told 12thman.com. “As a coach his education and maturity are always a concern when it comes to these kinds of decisions, but Donavan and his family feel they can surround him with good people to further his career.”
Since his announcement, Brazier has entered the 2016 Track and Field Olympic Trials which are set to begin in July in Eugene, Oregon.
Brazier has since been named as finalist for the Bowerman Award, the track and field equivalent to the Heisman Trophy.