Draft Day Dreams

Photo by Photo by Cassie Stricker

Christian Kirk talks to a Dallas Cowboys scout.

According to NFL Draft prospect and former Texas A&M wide receiver Christian Kirk, Draft Day is a day most football players hope to reach.
“That’s every kid’s dream to be able to go to college and have a great and successful career and be a first round draft pick and walk across that stage,” Kirk said.
However, as the hours get closer to NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell officially announcing the Cleveland Browns are on the clock, A&M’s streak of having a player hearing their name called in the first round every year since Von Miller in 2011 is in jeopardy.
While Kirk said he would be honored to carry the streak, he isn’t worrying about where in the draft where he will be picked. He just considers himself lucky to be in the position he is in.
“I’d be wrong if I said it didn’t mean anything, it definitely means a lot being able to carry on that tradition,” Kirk said. “It’s definitely a goal of mine but, wherever I get picked up, I’ll be blessed and once I get to the next level that’s a new chapter and I’m going to have to go out there and do my thing.”
Kirk, who declared for the draft after his junior season, is the only Aggie who is projected to potentially come off the board in the first round this year. Most mock drafts have him as an early to mid-second round pick. Out of six analysts on cbssports.com, only one has Kirk going in the first round, at No. 29 overall to Jacksonville.
Thirty days before the draft, Kirk along with teammates Armani Watts, Damion Ratley, Shane Tripucka, Priest Willis, Keith Ford and Qualen Cunningham showcased their talents in front of representatives from all 32 NFL teams at the A&M Pro Day. Following the workout, Kirk said he believes he is the best receiver in the draft.
“I’ll say I’m up there at the top, if not at the top. That’s what I believe, I just have to have that confidence every time I step on the field,” Kirk said. “I just have to believe in everything I do and bring a different aspect to the game, different dynamic.”
Kirk said all he needed was an opportunity to show what kind of player he is both on and off the field.
“[I] just want to show these coaches that I am an all-around football player,” Kirk said. “Not only I can bring a lot to the field, I can bring a lot a lot to the locker room and be a leader and be accountable.”
On Dec. 29, Kirk announced via Twitter he would elect to enter the draft, and for the past four months, has been preparing for this upcoming every day since.
“This is definitely going to be the longest year of football I’ve had so, just [trying to] take it all in stride … and enjoying the process.”
Watts, a 5-foot-11 inch defensive back from Forney, is the only other player listed on the cbssports.com mock draft. According to the site, Watts is projected to be picked No. 123 overall in the fourth round to Pittsburgh after a trade.
In March, Watts said he was lucky and thankful to go through the draft process and was hoping to make the most of his experience.
“It’s pretty exciting, you don’t get this opportunity too many times, so I came out here and compete,” Watts said during A&M’s Pro Day.
Watts said he hoped coaches and NFL executives could see the caliber of player he was on the field and take note of what qualities he could bring to their respective organizations off the field.
“My work ethic and what I bring to the game,” Watts said. “I became a better leader this year and these past few years. [Football is] my job and what I can [contribute] to a team.”
The 2018 NFL Draft will be held at AT&T Stadium in Arlington, and is scheduled to begin 7 p.m. CT and will be televised on ESPN, FOX and NFL Network.