Edgerrin Cooper named AP First Team All-American

Photo by: Julianne Shivers

Junior LB Edgerrin Cooper (45) screams after a touchdown in Texas A&M’s game against Mississippi State on Saturday, Nov. 11, 2023 at Kyle Field. (Julianne Shivers/ The Battalion)

Following an elite season with Texas A&M football, junior linebacker Edgerrin Cooper was named a First Team All-American by the Associated Press, the organization announced on Monday, Dec. 11.
The recognition adds to a long list of honors Cooper has received, having been tabbed a First Team All-American by CBS Sports, The Athletic and the Walter Camp Football Foundation.
SEC coaches voted the Louisiana product to First Team All-Conference, while the Football Writers Association of America selected him as a Second Team All-American. Dave Campbell’s Texas Football previously honored Cooper as First Team All-Texas and the best linebacker in Texas.
In 2023, Cooper put together one of the most impressive seasons in history for an A&M linebacker, tallying 83 tackles, 17 tackles for loss and eight sacks with two forced fumbles. His tackles for loss total led the SEC and ranked fifth among Power 5 players, while his tackle and sack counts were sixth and fourth in the conference, respectively.
Cooper’s top performance of the season came in a 26-20 loss to Alabama on Oct. 7, when he picked up 11 tackles with three sacks for 25 yards and a forced fumble.
Cooper’s contributions were key to an A&M defense that stood atop the SEC and ninth in the nation in yards allowed per game at 295. The Aggies’ 21.3 points allowed per game ranked third in the conference. A&M held opponents to 106.7 rushing yards on average, good for first in the SEC, and 188.3 passing yards for second in the SEC. He was named Defensive MVP at the team’s postseason banquet.
Across three seasons of meaningful playing time, Cooper has amassed 204 tackles, 30.5 tackles for loss, 8.5 sacks, 10 pass breakups and three forced fumbles. In 2021, he was named to the SEC All-Freshman Team.
Cooper has yet to announce a decision on if he will enter the 2024 NFL Draft or return to A&M.