Falling one spot to No. 17 on the AP Poll, Texas A&M must raise their level of competition on Saturday against Nevada

Photo by Photo By: Kevin Chou
Hot or Not

Who’s Hot

Kyle Allen
The sophomore signal caller was given the nod to start by Kevin Sumlin against Ball State, and he didn’t disappoint, leading the Aggies to the end zone for six of the seven drives he played in. Unlike last week against Arizona State where Allen turned it over twice with a fumble and an interception, Allen protected the football and threw an efficient game, racking up 126 yards on 10-13 passing in the 56-23 victory. Allen spoke about his performance to ESPN after the game.
“We rolled the way we should against a pretty good team in Ball State,” Allen said. “We handled our business.”
The Aggies are going to need efficient quarterback play from Allen as the season progresses and SEC play gets closer and closer.
The Aggie Defense
This seems to be a recurring event which should bring Aggie fans everywhere a sense of relief. With the addition of defensive coordinator John Chavis from LSU, the Aggie defense seems to have a different spirit on that side of the ball. The defense started out slow as Ball State running back Darian Green gashed the defense to get the ball to the 1 yard line. It seemed inevitable that the Cardinals would punch it in from a yard out, but the Aggies had other intentions. The defense stood tall and forced the Cardinals to kick a field goal for the Cardinals’ only points of the first half. Starting quarterback Jack Milas was completely neutralized against Chavis’ defense, throwing for only five yards passing in a little less than a half before getting pulled for backup Riley Neal.
Running Back Depth
With James White not playing this past week, the Aggies had a huge question mark at running back after Tra Carson. We can be assured A&M is set at running back as senior Brice Dolezal and freshman Kwame Etwi combined for 29 carries for 199 yards and a 33 yard touchdown run from Dolezal. Once James White comes back and assumes his backup role, the stable of backs that the Aggies have will be very impressive.

Who’s not

The Aggie Reserves
There wasn’t much that was subpar from the Aggies on Saturday. One thing that could be pointed out was that A&M allowed 20 points in the second half to backup quarterback Riley Neal and allowed the Cardinal offense to get into a rhythm late in the game. The Aggie offense didn’t fare much better, getting one score from 6-foot-6, 300-pound offensive lineman Koda Martin falling on a fumble in the end zone. A&M shouldn’t have this problem on Saturday as Nevada promises to give the Aggies a tough game.

Who to watch for

Run, run and more run
Coming off a 44-20 loss to No. 20 Arizona at home, the Wolf Pack will be looking to ease junior quarterback Tyler Stewart into the game this Saturday. With the Wolf Pack playing in front of the biggest crowd in school history, former Aggie Special teams coach and now Nevada head coach Brian Polian will be looking to get some success on the ground with senior running back Don Jackson. Stewart will be a threat to run as well, gaining 43 yards on the ground against Arizona.
Christian Kirk punt returns
Every time freshman sensation Christian Kirk gets the ball, something big is bound to happen. Kirk has quickly become must-see TV when the ball gets in his hands. Getting so close to returning another punt return to the house against Ball State, Kirk will be waiting back to receive Nevada punter Alex Boy’s punts. The Nevada kick coverage team must be disciplined in their kick coverage in corralling Kirk and closing down running lanes because if Kirk gets an open lane on Saturday, look out. He just might take it back to the house.

• Hot or Not

Photo by Photo By: Kevin Chou
  • Hot or Not

Photo by Photo By:Kevin Chou
  • Hot or Not

Photo by Photo By: Kevin Chou