Five takeaways from A&M vs. LSU

Photo by Photo by: Jenna Rabel

Sophomore Kyle Allen completed 2210 passing yards during the 2015 season.

To end the regular season, Texas A&M fell 19-7 to the LSU Tigers Saturday. It was a game that meant a lot for both sides. Here is what came of the matchup.
1. Seats at A&M are warming up
With the firing of Mark Richt at Georgia and heated discussion over replacing Les Miles at LSU, things don’t look positive for the A&M coaching staff. The Aggies have tallied 8-4, 7-5 and 8-4 records in the past few regular seasons, while also going 2-10 in that span against Ole Miss, LSU, Alabama and Auburn. Failing to win big games is what ran Richt out of Georgia, and it could be Kevin Sumlin’s demise if the Aggies remain stagnant in these following seasons. However, since the Aggies generated just one touchdown in each of the last four out of five games, a change may be imminent at offensive coordinator in the offseason.
2. John Chavis keeps games within striking distance
In John Chavis’ first trip back to Baton Rouge as an A&M coach, his Aggie defense was at its best. His aggressive schemes contained Leonard Fournette for most of the game, and as a whole, the Tigers were only able to rack up 327 yards of offense. Chavis is one of college football’s best defensive minds, and he proved his worth on Saturday.
3. Les Miles deserves to remain head coach at LSU
Amidst all of the controversy surrounding Les Miles’ future throughout the week, the LSU athletic director confirmed Miles will remain head coach Saturday. Miles has won 111 games in his 11-year stint at LSU, repeatedly brings in top-tier recruiting classes and won a national championship in 2007. He has had tremendous success, and has earned the right to return to LSU in 2016.
4. Inconsistent quarterback play continues to plague Aggies
Kyle Allen looked solid in the Aggies lone touchdown drive on Saturday, but other than that, he was ineffective. He completed only 54 percent of his passes, averaged less than six yards per attempt and compiled a paltry 29.6 QBR. In today’s quarterback-driven version of college football, that kind of inefficient quarterback play is not good enough for the Aggies to compete in the SEC.
The Aggies have had a ton of questions surrounding their quarterbacks for much of the season, and with Allen’s struggled against LSU, that is not likely to change. However, all signs suggest that Hubenak has won the backup job. Offensive coordinator Jake Spavital said in last Tuesday’s press conference that the transfer from Blinn was the backup against Vanderbilt, and when Allen got hurt on Saturday, it was Hubenak, not blue-chipper Kyler Murray, who relieved him.
5. Leonard Fournette is a stud
Much of Fournette’s luster has dulled since his epic start to the season, but he proved against Texas A&M that he is still an incredible talent. Even though he was facing a loaded Aggie box on nearly every play due to the Tigers’ inability to complete passes, he still managed to run for 159 yards and a touchdown. He is a warrior — as exhibited by his 32 carries — and he should remain in the Heisman conversation despite LSU’s recent struggles.