Texas A&M infielder Rylen Wiggins (2) makes a catch during Texas A&M’s game against UAlbany at the first round of the NCAA Women’s College World Series at Davis Diamond on Friday, May 18, 2024. (Hannah Harrison/The Battalion)
A&M wins second regional game 1-0 against Texas State
Kolton Becker, Sports Writer • May 18, 2024

Saturday, May 18 was the second time this year that Texas A&M softball met Texas State. The previous matchup between the two squads occurred...

Former A&M assistant hired as women’s basketball coach at Texas

FILE

Former Texas A&M women’s basketball associate coach Vic Schaefer was hired by the University of Texas.

Former Texas A&M women’s basketball associate coach and Class of 1984 Vic Schaefer, who most recently helmed the Mississippi State program, was hired by Texas on Sunday.
Schaefer, who was born in Austin and raised in Houston, spent nine years with A&M as the associate head coach from 2003 until 2012.
Schaefer’s connection to current A&M head coach Gary Blair goes beyond 2003 though. In 1997, when Blair was the head coach at Arkansas, he hired Schaefer as his assistant coach, then brought him along to Aggieland in 2003, where the Aggie grad stayed until the conclusion of the 2011-2012 season.
In 2012, Schaefer became the head coach of the Mississippi State Bulldogs, leading them to a 221-62 record over eight seasons.
During his eight years with the Bulldogs, Schaefer’s team saw five NCAA Tournaments, four Sweet Sixteen appearances, three Elite Eight appearances, two SEC Championships, two Final Four appearances, two national runner-up finishes and an SEC Tournament championship.
In their first ever Final Four appearance in 2017, Mississippi State broke UConn’s 111-game win streak in overtime to advance to the National Championship.
Schaefer will take over a Texas team that went 19-11 under Karen Aston during the 2019-2020 season.