Texas A&M infielder Ali Camarillo (2) thros to first during Texas A&M’s game against Louisiana at the NCAA Bryan-College Station Regional Final at Olsen Field on Sunday, June 2, 2024. (Chris Swann/The Battalion)
Camarillo, Aschenbeck selected by Athletics, Cubs to round out 2024 MLB Draft

Junior SS Ali Camarillo and senior LHP Evan Aschenbeck rounded out the 2024 MLB Draft for Texas A&M baseball on Monday as they were selected...

Four Aggies selected on day two and three of the 2017 NFL Draft

Photo by By Lawrence Smelser

Justin Evans gets in the face of Tennessee wide receiver Josh Smith.

On Thursday night in round one of the 2017 NFL draft, Myles Garrett made history by becoming Texas A&M’s first No. 1 overall pick. Two more Aggies, safety Justin Evans and defensive end Daeshon Hall, were selected in rounds two and three respectively on Friday night. The two were projected to go anywhere from the second to fourth rounds in this year’s draft.

Safety Justin Evans, listed at 6’0’’ and 199 lbs., was selected by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers with the 50th overall pick. Evans is considered by coaching scouts and media outlets as a fast and aggressive player with above-average ball skills. He is also thought to have good short area cover skills and is tough against the run. He will join fellow Aggie and Pro Bowl wide receiver Mike Evans in Tampa Bay. 

The safety started his career in the junior college ranks playing for Gulf Coast State College before heading to College Station after two seasons. In his senior year at Texas A&M, Evans was the team’s co-defensive MVP with Myles Garrett, and finished No. 2 in the country with passes defended. He broke out in his 2016 with 4 interceptions, 8 batted passes, and 87 tackles. It is believed that Evans will have the opportunity to compete for the starting job right away in Tampa Bay.

Listed at 6’5’’ and 266 lbs., defensive end Daeshon Hall was selected with the 77th overall pick by the Carolina Panthers. Hall is described as a talented player with a lot of upside who needs time to further develop his skills. Hall undoubtedly has the tools to succeed in the NFL, being an inch taller than his fellow Aggie Myles Garrett, and recording a 40-yard dash time only one-tenth of a second slower than Garrett’s at the NFL combine. His 35.5’’ arm length and 41’’ vertical jump also impressed scouts.

Hall was a 4-year contributor at Texas A&M, and was considered a pure pass rusher coming into his freshman year. His sack numbers slightly dropped off during his senior season, however this was offset some improved run defense. Hall ended his impressive college career with 161 tackles and 15 sacks.

Another pair of Texas A&M players heard their names called by on the final day of the draft. Wide receiver Josh Reynolds was selected in the fourth round by the Los Angeles Rams with the 117th overall pick. Offensive lineman Jermaine Eluemunor was taken in the fifth round with the 159th overall pick by the Baltimore Ravens.
Reynolds, listed at 6’3’’ and 194 lbs., is considered a strong vertical threat with superior ball skills. He can climb up high on contested catches and use his length to win 50/50 balls. Reynolds should be able to step in and take pressure off the Ram’s running game and underneath receiving group with his vertical threat. In three years at Texas A&M, Reynolds recorded 2,788 yards and 30 touchdowns.

Eluemunor, listed at 6’4’’ and 332 lbs., is considered to be a developmental guard that needs continued growth in knowledge and technique. However, his active feet, lateral quickness, and superior overall strength may offset some of his deficiencies and give him an advantage early in his career. Eluemunor adds much needed depth to the Raven’s interior offense, and many believe he also has the ability to transition to tackle in the future.