Gibson named CoSID Academic All-American of the Year

Photo by Russel James/TAMU Athletics

Women’s swimming raduate Sarah Gibson was named the 2016-17 CoSID Academic All-American of the Year

Texas A&M women’s swimming graduate Sarah Gibson was named 2016-17 CoSID Academic All-American of the Year Thursday morning. Gibson graduated with honors in May and held a 4.0 GPA while majoring in biomedical engineering.
“It’s a great time to be an Aggie! Every practice, homework assignment and team experience at Texas A&M is truly making my dreams come true,” Gibson said. “I can only thank the long list of people – be they friends, teammates, coaches, professors, or support staff – whose efforts have propelled me forward.”
Gibson is the second Aggie to receive this honor, as former football standout Kip Corrington was given the award in 1987.
Gibson earned 15 All-American honors and claimed five SEC titles as an Aggie, competing in freestyle and butterfly individual races and was a member of all of A&M’s relay teams. Gibson led A&M to its second-straight SEC championship in February and was named Swimmer of the Meet, earning the SEC Commissioner’s Trophy as well. Gibson then helped the Aggies finish a program-best third place at the NCAA Championships in March.
Gibson holds school records in the 200 free and 100 fly, along with the 400 and 800 free relays and the 200 and 400 medley relay teams.
“Sarah Gibson exemplifies the highest standards in college athletics and what it means to be a student-athlete,” Texas A&M director of athletics Scott Woodward said. “She is an Academic All-American in every sense of the phrase, and an ideal representative of Texas A&M University’s core values of excellence, integrity, leadership, loyalty, respect and selfless service. There is no doubt in my mind that Sarah is going to change the world.”
Gibson is currently in Budapest, Hungary competing in the FINA World Championships with the U.S. National Team in the 50 and 100 fly.
“It is unimaginable that I have had the opportunity to be chosen for this award, graduate with honors, and represent my country at the FINA World Championships within a few short months,” Gibson said.