Going after Jimbo Fisher

Photo by Andrew Salinero/FSView

FSU Head Coach Jimbo Fisher is speculated to become A&M’s head coach after the Aggies fired Kevin Sumlin last Sunday. 

Deep in the offices of the Memorial Student Center, the Texas A&M Board of Regents held a special meeting to discuss A&M’s next head football coach.
Although nothing was officially announced as to who the next coach will be during the nearly three-hour closed session meeting — many speculate the Aggies have their man.
All signs seem to point to Florida State head coach Jimbo Fisher. However, in Tallahassee, Fisher continues to dodge questions regarding his future as the Seminoles’ head coach.
According to a report released late Thursday night by The Eagle, sources — who gave information on the condition of anonymity — close to the Board of Regents will meet Monday to give A&M President Michael K. Young the go ahead to offer and hire Fisher on Monday.
Following the end of the executive session, A&M chancellor John Sharp gave no indication as to who the Aggies were looking to hire.
“We have candidates,” Sharp said. “It’s just not something we can talk about it cause it’s sensitive with the coaches and the others.”
On the Florida side, one of the bigger issues between Fisher and the FSU administration, has been the lack of upgrades of the facilities. Sharp alluded Fisher would be willing to come to A&M due to the fact that A&M has top tier facilities.
“We’ve got the best facilities in the SEC, the best stadium and we intend to have the best coach,” Sharp said.
According to a report by The Associated Press, an unnamed source on the FSU side of the situation said the university expects Fisher to head to Aggieland. The AP report said the source asked to remain anonymous due to the lack of public talk on both sides of the situation.
Wednesday night, Fisher held his weekly call-in show in Tallahassee where fans can ask him questions in person or on the phone. A fan announced as ‘Mike from Tallahassee’ called Fisher out by questioning his loyalty.
“It’s been kind of a tough season,” Mike said. “I remember watching a lot of your press conferences where you would talk about how we need to be committed to the program and keep cheering for the team and we need to be talking about that and the loyalty to the program. So I’m wondering, where’s the loyalty to the program Jimbo?”
Fisher addressed the incident in his post-practice press conference — FSU is playing Louisiana–Monroe a game that was postponed due to Hurricane Irma to start the season. Fisher said he wished that they wouldn’t have rushed the fan away to give Fisher the chance to respond to him.
Fisher and the Noles are looking to become bowl eligible after a 5-6 season after starting the season ranked No. 3 overall.