Golden Goal gives Aggies double overtime win over Georgia

Soccer
Photo by Photo By: Brian Okosun
Soccer

The No. 19 Texas A&M soccer team traveled to Georgia on Sunday and came out with a dramatic 2-1 victory in double overtime. A&M improves to 10-2-1 (5-1 SEC) with the victory, while Georgia falls to 4-9-1 (0-6 SEC) with the loss.
The Aggies then dominated the second overtime period outside of another close chance on goal from Gutierrez for Georgia, eventually leading to sophomore Grace Piper netting a screaming shot from outside of the box to give A&M the sudden death 2-1 victory in the 109th minute.
The first half included an hour and 8-minute rain delay in the 15th minute with the score tied at 0. The Bulldogs controlled the first five minutes of the half, recording three shots and a corner kick, while A&M didn’t get a shot off.
After the rain delay, the Aggies began to pressure the Bulldogs a little more, eventually leading to the first goal of the game in the 35th minute when Aggie sophomore Ally Watt capitalized on a Georgia mistake for her sixth goal of the year.
Shortly after, the Bulldogs scored an equalizer in the 42nd minute when freshman Katie Higgins slotted home the first goal of her career.
The second half did not see any scoring, although Georgia came close at the end of the half when Aggie junior Kendall Ritchie essentially made a save on a Georgia corner kick.
The first period of overtime saw Watt take two shots on goal, with both being saved by Georgia senior keeper Louise Hogrell. Georgia recorded just one shot in the first overtime period, coming from Bulldog senior Mariel Gutierrez.
The Aggies dominated their opponent again in shots taken, which is starting to become a regular occurrence, outshooting the Bulldogs 31-16 and 16-7 in shots on goal, while Georgia led in saves 14-6, and corner kicks were even at six.
The Aggies will be back in action on Friday as they take on the Ole Miss Rebels at Ellis Field. Kickoff is scheduled for 7 p.m.