Neil Jhurani, Sports Writer • May 23, 2024

A warm, summer evening bestowed Hoover, Alabama on Wednesday night when the No. 4 Texas A&M Aggies faced the No. 15 Mississippi State Bulldogs...

Haynes King named starting quarterback against Sam Houston per report

Photo by Cameron Johnson

Sophomore QB Haynes King (13) throws the ball in Kyle Field on April 9, 2022.

The Texas A&M football team may have a starting quarterback for Week 1 of the college football season: Haynes King.
The news was broken by TexAgs’ co-owner and executive editor Billy Liucci and corroborated by ESPN and other outlets and sources, though an official statement from the athletic department has not yet been made.
Head coach Jimbo Fisher chose King over LSU-transfer Max Johnson and freshman Conner Weigman. The highly competitive battle between the three has been a topic of discussion for weeks. Just three days prior, it remained unclear whether or not the decision was made.
In his Wednesday press conference, Fisher remained steadfast in his stance that the decision would be announced when it was the right time.
“We’ll announce it when we’re ready,” Fisher said.
As for the factors in deciding who would set foot on the field against the Sam Houston Bearkats on Sept. 3, Fisher had a clear answer:
“Consistency and who gives us the best chance to win,” Fisher said.
The 12th Man will see King return to Kyle Field for the first time since last season on Saturday at 11 a.m. when the Aggies take on Sam Houston in its 2022 home opener.