Texas A&M pitcher Ryan Prager (18) dlivers a pitch during Texas A&M’s game against Kentucky at the NCAA Men’s College World Series at in Omaha, Nebraska on Monday, June 17, 2024. Prager went for 6.2 innings, allowing two hits and zero runs. (Chris Swann/The Battalion)

Headed home: Kirk drafted by Cardinals

Print
Photo by via College Press Box
Print

The seven rounds of the NFL Draft concluded Saturday afternoon. Three former Texas A&M football players were drafted on Friday and Saturday, but A&M’s streak of players taken in the first round every year since 2011 came to an end Thursday night.
Wide receiver Christian Kirk was selected by the Arizona Cardinals in the second round, 47th overall. Kirk said in his introductory press conference in Arizona he still couldn’t believe he will live out his dream of playing in the NFL.
“It’s so surreal,” Kirk said. “I’m sure it will settle in a little bit further down the road when we report for camp.”
Kirk, originally from Scottsdale, Arizona, said he was happy and excited to be able to stay home and represent an organization he grew up watching.
“Being a hometown kid and growing up here, I’ve always been a Cardinals fan and just remember so many times growing up — especially when they made the Super Bowl run. Being able to have the opportunity to be around Kurt Warner and Larry Fitzgerald is so surreal,” Kirk said. “I’ve come so far. It’s crazy how everything goes full circle.”
On day three of the NFL Draft, defensive back Armani Watts was selected in the fourth round, 124th overall, by the Kansas City Chiefs. On Instagram, Watts said he was thankful for the opportunity to represent the Chiefs.
In the sixth round, wide receiver Damion Ratley was selected 175th overall by the Cleveland Browns. Ratley will join former Aggie teammate and 2017 No. 1 NFL Draft pick Myles Garrett. Ratley said on Instagram he was thankful and excited for the opportunity the Browns have given him.
After the draft, defensive tackle Zaycoven Henderson and punter Shane Tripucka signed free agent deals with the Browns and Chargers, respectively.