Henderson still out indefinitely after release from jail

Photo by Photo by C. Morgan Engel

Senior defensive-lineman Zaycoven Henderson races around the offensive line to reach the quarterback. The Aggies would finish with 3 sacks. 

Texas A&M interim head coach Jeff Banks confirmed Monday that senior defensive tackle Zaycoven Henderson is suspended indefinitely following his arrest on Dec. 10.
According to a Brazos County Jail Record, Henderson was charged with three counts of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, tampering of evidence and possession of less than two ounces of marijuana. Henderson was released on Dec. 11 on a total bond of $40,000 for all five charges.
Despite being released, Banks said he is uncertain whether Henderson will return to the team before the Aggies’ bowl game against Wake Forest on Dec. 29 as the university handles further legal matters.
“There’s a lot of legal things involved there with that I’m not at liberty to comment on,” Banks said. “Right now we’re moving forward with the group we have and that’s all we can really focus on until the university goes through their actions and also the law.”
Henderson is ninth on the team with 35 tackles this season, and has posted 2.5 sacks and 5.0 tackles for loss. He had played in all 12 games this year, starting in 11.
“It’s big, that’s a real veteran right there, that’s my dude,” junior defensive end Landis Durham said. “Wish he could be there for sure, but it is what it is and we’ve got to step up.”
Even with Henderson likely out for his final game as an Aggie, Durham said he is certain he wants the team come out on top.
“If he was still here, regardless of if he was still here or not, he wants us to win and everyone in the locker room wants to win as well,” Durham said.