Texas A&M players watch fireworks after Texas A&M’s game against Ole Miss on Friday, April 19, 2024 at Davis Diamond. (Hannah Harrison/The Battalion)
The sun will come out
The sun will come out
Incoming journalism professors Mariano Castillo and Flora Charner sit with former student and Battalion staff member Ken Sury at the FJSA Hall of Fame reception ceremony held in the J. Wayne Stark Galleries in the Memorial Student Center on Friday, April 19, 2024. (Hannah Harrison/The Battalion)
A&M welcomes new journalism professors from CNN, Dallas Morning News
Ana Renfroe and Stacy CoxApril 19, 2024

At a ceremony honoring Aggie journalists, Texas A&M announced it will welcome three new journalism professors in the fall. New hires will...

LSU QB Jayden Daniels (5) runs with the ball during A&Ms game against LSU at Kyle Field on Saturday, Nov. 26, 2022. (Cameron Johnson/The Battalion)
2024 NFL Draft: Ranking every first-round graded quarterback
Mathias Cubillan, Sports Writer • April 21, 2024

As the 2024 NFL Draft in Detroit is closing in, a microscope gets placed on the prospects who play the sport’s most valuable position. Featuring...

The sun will come out
Members of the 2023-2024 Aggie Muster Committee pose outside the Jack K. Williams Administration Building. (Photo courtesy of Aggie Muster Committee)
Orchestrating a century-old tradition
Sydnei Miles, Head Life & Arts Editor • April 18, 2024

As Muster approaches, the Aggie Muster Committee works to organize a now century-old tradition. These students “coordinate every facet” of...

Texas A&M professor Dr. Christina Belanger teaches her Geology 314 class on Wednesday, April 3, 2024, in the Halbouty Geosciences Building. (CJ Smith/The Battalion)
Opinion: Stop beating the dead [virtual] horse
Eddie Phillips, Opinion Writer • April 22, 2024

Snow days were my favorite days of grade school. I would wake up extra early to stand in my living room to peer through the glass toward the...

Holding down the house

Aggie softball looks to continue hot start hosting Aggie Invitational
Photo by Jaime Rowe
Graduate P Shaylee Ackerman (10) pitches during Texas A&M’s game against Valpo on Feb. 10, 2024 at Davis Diamond.

The Texas A&M Softball team is gearing up for the Texas A&M Invitational, set to kick off on Thursday, Feb. 22 at 5:15 p.m.

Davis Diamond will play host to six teams, including Southeastern Louisiana, St. Thomas, North Dakota State University, Kansas and UTSA.

The Aggies are 9-0, run-ruling six games with two wins over No. 14 Oregon.

Junior LHP Emiley Kennedy and junior RF Allie Enright earned SEC weekly honors of Co-Pitcher of the Week and Co-Player of the Week, respectively, after helping propel A&M to a 4-0 weekend.

Kennedy is ranked 96th nationally with a 1.09 earned run average. During this past weekend at the Campbell/Cartier Classic, Kennedy struck out 23 players, with 11 of those strikeouts in just one game against the Ducks. She is also ranked No. 12 in strikeouts.

Ranked 11th for her batting average of .609, Enright is already much improved from her .210 mark last season.

“I think Allie is hitting the ball so well because she is in a better posture,” coach Trisha Ford said. “She’s understanding her swing and what pitches to attack and has a better head space in the box.”

As of now, the Aggies hold a solid 26th position in fielding percentages with .980 and are ranked 42nd with a .330 batting average.

“These next two weeks we have 15 games in a week and a half,” Ford said. “This season is a continual push of what Aggie softball is going to be and how we are going to play. It doesn’t matter who’s on the other side. We’re enjoying it, but there’s a greater mission ahead.”

The Aggies’ first opponent of the weekend, the Southeastern Louisiana Lions, enter the A&M Invitational with an 8-2 record, falling in their last game to South Alabama.

Southeastern senior RHP Mary-Cathryn Comeaux stands at 124th nationally with a 1.24 ERA, while offensive leaders senior OF Ka’Lyn Watson and freshman IF Chloe Magee are tied for 57th with a .500 batting average.

The Lions are ranked 16th nationally with a .369 batting average, but are only 143rd defensively with a .961 fielding percentage.

In A&M’s first matchup of Friday, it will face off against 1-9 St. Thomas. The Tommies have struggled offensively, batting .184.

Junior pitchers Christina Crawford and Ella Cook have also struggled, as both have earned-run averages of 9.64 and 9.87, respectively.

Cook stands as one of the offensive leaders with a .269 batting average along with sophomore P Morgan Klein, who is hitting .231.

North Dakota State, whom the Maroon and White face both Friday and Saturday night, are 6-6 on the season and are ranked 51st nationally with a .64 ERA and 176th with a .247 batting average.

Standout players include junior RHP Savy Williams with a 0.64 ERA and sophomore IF Bella Dean with a .385 batting average.

The Jayhawks will play the Aggies on Saturday and have racked up a 4-5-1 record over the first couple weeks of the season.

Junior RHP Katie Brooks is individually ranked 99th with a 1.11 ERA, while the team holds the 117th spot with a .964 fielding percentage and the 66th position with a .307 batting average.

A&M’s final opponent of the weekend is the UTSA Roadrunners, who have stumbled to a 2-8 record and a .187 team batting average.

Junior UTL Jaylen Prichard leads her team offensively with a .320 batting average. Senior RHP Jamie Gilbert stands as the statistical leader in the circle with 27 strikeouts and a 2.49 ERA.