It’s a House Party

Photo by Photo by: Morgan Engel

Senior forward Danuel House rises up for a dunk against Iowa State.

After losing against Arkansas three days earlier, the No. 5 Texas A&M Aggies captured a much needed win against a strong No. 14 Iowa State Cyclone team 72-62 and kept its home winning streak alive improving to 13-0 this season at Reed Arena.
After trading baskets with the Cyclones for the majority of the game and being tied 56-56 with 5:19 remaining, Danuel House took over the game and helped the Aggies end the match on a 16-4 run. House was instrumental in the run, scoring 10 points in the final 4:08 of the game which was started by a deep three pointer and capped off by a monster dunk that served as the dagger.
A&M head coach Billy Kennedy praised the senior for his clutch performance.
“It was huge, Kennedy said. “He took over. What was really good was that he was patient. He didn’t force anything. He made the big shot and he helped us get the ball to the right places. He did a good job of making the right plays.”
House, who struggled in the first half, said that being patient was what helped turn things around and spark his run at the end of the game.
“I wasn’t trying to force anything and I was grateful that my teammates ran plays for me and got me the ball,” House said.
After shooting 36.7 percent from the field and going 1-14 from beyond the arc in the first half, the Aggies (18-3, 7-1 SEC) turned things around in the second half shooting 46.9 percent and hit 4-of-7 shots from downtown.
House led the Aggies in scoring with 20 points. Jalen Jones struggled shooting the ball going 5-19 but still managed to score 13 points and grabbed a career high 14 boards. Caruso and Collins helped spread the wealth around notching six and five assists respectively.  
The Cyclones (16-5, 5-3 Big 12) came into the game hot after beating No. 1 Oklahoma and No. 4 Kansas in the previous two weeks. NBA prospect and Iowa State’s leading scorer Georges Niang led the way for the Cyclones, scoring 15 points, but was held under his season average of 19.3 points per game by Jalen Jones.
Iowa State head coach Steve Prohm gave the Aggies’ defensive performance credit after his team was held to 62 points, 22 points under their season average of 84 points per game.
“We’d like to have played a little faster if we could and play in transition more but [A&M deserves the credit]. They really clog the paint and stay in front of you,” Prohm said.
Reed Arena was filled with 12,473 fans which was the largest attendance for a regular season non-conference game in program history.
With the victory, Billy Kennedy now has 300 career wins and Texas A&M is now 4-0 against Big 12 opponents.
The Aggies will travel to Vanderbilt for their next outing on Feb. 4. Tip-off is scheduled for 6 p.m. and the game can be seen on ESPN 2.

• House had a team high 20 points against the Cyclones.

Photo by Photo by: Morgan Engel