Jace Sternberger begins a new era for tight ends in the A&M offense

Photo by Photo by Jesse Everett

Junior Jace Sternberger hauled in five receptions for 56 yards and two touchdowns in the victory over Northwestern.

If this year’s spring game was not an indication of the new offense Texas A&M head coach Jimbo Fisher would conduct at A&M, then the first two quarters in their 59-7 win against Northwestern State showcasing junior tight end Jace Sternberger, did just that.
Sternberger was a dominant force on the Maroon offense during the April spring game, finishing with 147 yards for eight catches and securing two touchdowns.
Along with this being his first A&M appearance, Sternberger also highlighted a position former A&M head coach, Kevin Sumlin often lacked in his offense – A tight end. The performance by Sternberger hinting to the kind of offense Fisher would bring during his first year with the program.
His presence on the field didn’t waver in the season opener either. Sternberger was a favorite target for sophomore starting quarterback, Kellen Mond and completed two touchdowns for 15 yards before the first half ran out.
Mond credited the offensive line for giving him room to make plays with strong players, like Sternberger, early in the game.
“… Jace [Sternberger] obviously had a really good night for us,” Mond said. “Catching a lot of contesting catches, getting open on a lot of option routes. The offensive line did a really good job in that sort, giving me time to find those guys. So, once I get those guys in open field, they can make big plays for me.”
After seeing quality playing time, Sternberger ended his regular season debut with five receptions for 56 yards and two touchdowns, after being targeted seven times by Mond.
Substantially more yards than former tight ends Kalvin Cline and Tanner Schorp collected in the 2017 season under Sumlin. Schorp had six catches for 59 yards with 8 regular season starts, while Cline didn’t earn a catch all year.
Fisher said Sternberger has noticeable athleticism and is planning on involving other tight end, Trevor Wood, in future games because he knows both are capable of making big plays.
“I thought Jace [Sternberger] did a nice job in the game. He made plays,” Fisher said. “You saw the athleticism with the ability to get vertical, I think I may just get Trevor Wood going here next week because he can do the same type of things, but I thought Jace was outstanding in the game, I really do.”
On the blocking front, junior running back Trayveon Williams said Sternberger was a big part of his 73-yard touchdown run two minutes into the game that gave the Aggies a 7-0 lead.
“If you look at the play, Jhamon Ausbon and Jace Sternberger had great down field blocking. That kind of opened it up and allowed me to score. Without those two guys it wouldn’t have been a touchdown,” Williams said.