Texas A&M pitcher Evan Aschenbeck (53) throws a pitch during Texas A&M’s game against Florida at the NCAA Men’s College World Series semifinal at Charles Schwab Field in Omaha, Nebraska on Sunday, June 19, 2024. (Hannah Harrison/The Battalion)
Aggies defeat Gators 6-0 to advance to first College World Series finals
Kolton Becker, Sports Writer • June 20, 2024

There’s always a first for everything.  For the first time in program history, Texas A&M baseball is headed to the Men’s College...

Janca’s homer propels A&M over Alabama, 3-2

Photo by Photo by Cassie Stricker

George Janca celebrates.

The tide has turned for Texas A&M baseball in the past couple weeks, but things remained consistent for the Aggies Saturday afternoon in Tuscaloosa, sweeping Alabama with a 3-2 win.

A&M’s offense was stagnant through the first six innings, garnering only one hit and just four total base runners to that point in the game.

The Aggies (26-11, 8-7 SEC) found a spark in George Janca, however, as the third baseman blasted a three-run homer over the left field fence in the top of the seventh to put A&M ahead 3-1 – giving the Aggies a lead they would keep over the Crimson Tide (14-22, 2-13 SEC).

A&M’s scoring chances were nearly dashed after the Tide recorded two quick outs in the top half of the inning, but the maroon and white soon mounted a two-out rally. Blake Kopetsky singled up the middle and Austin Homan followed by drawing a full-count walk to give way to Janca’s crucial plate appearance.

Janca’s home run was his fourth of the season, all of which have come during SEC play.

Alabama battled back with a two-out rally of its own in the ninth, though, cutting the A&M lead to one after Chandler Avant scored on a wild pitch from Mitchell Kilkenny. Cobie Vance followed with his fourth base hit of the game to right field and Chandler Taylor kept the Tide’s hopes alive after drawing full-count walk.

Kilkenny settled back in, however, and got Cody Henry to strike out swinging to end the game, sealing the sweep for A&M and giving the Aggies their sixth win in a row. Kilkenny’s closing effort also allowed him to earn his fifth save of the season.

Taylor gave Alabama an early 1-0 lead in the bottom of the first after doubling to left field with two outs, scoring Vance all the way from first.

A&M starter Stephen Kolek scattered eight hits during 5.2 innings of work, allowing just the lone run and striking out seven. Kaylor Chafin (3-0) was superb in relief, tossing two perfect innings.

With the win, the Aggies claimed their third straight SEC series win and have now won eight of their last ten games.

The Aggies return to the diamond this Tuesday as they travel to face UT-Arlington at Clay Gould Ballpark with first pitch set for 6:30 p.m.