Jimbo Fisher ‘confident’ with either Starkel or Mond as starting quarterback

Photo by Photo by Cassie Stricker

Redshirt sophomore quarterback Nick Starkel set A&M freshman records against Wake Forest at the Belk Bowl for passing yards, attempts, completions and touchdowns.

Texas A&M is a week away from opening the season against Northwestern State at Kyle Field, however A&M head coach Jimbo Fisher hasn’t named his starting quarterback.
Throughout fall camp, Fisher said that both Nick Starkel and Kellen Mond were neck and neck in the competition for the starting job. And as of Thursday, seven days from A&M’s home opener, there wasn’t an indication as to who had won the job.
“There’s been no decision, we’re just going to continue to battle it out every day,” redshirt sophomore quarterback Nick Starkel said.
At his weekly press conference, Fisher said regardless of whether Starkel or Mond start the game, he believes that they each have the ability to win the game.
“Both guys are developing and playing really good football,” Fisher said. “I feel very confident with both guys.”
Not naming a quarterback to start the season isn’t something out of the ordinary. In fact last season, former A&M head coach Kevin Sumlin didn’t make his quarterback decision known until the day the Aggies opened against UCLA on the road.
Last season against the Bruins, both Starkel and Mond took snaps to start the game. After Starkel injured his ankle, Mond remained the quarterback for the next seven games.
Going into this season, Mond said he won’t let whether or not him being named the starter intervene with his game preparation.
“It’s still something that shouldn’t affect me,” Mond said. ‘I have to go out there and prepare like I’m the starter and try and play like I am the starter. Whatever comes between my preparation and work that week shouldn’t change whether I am the starter or we’re both playing.”
Both Starkel and Mond said they have had the opportunity to grow close and form a unique bond they said has made the quarterback competition less of a battle and more of healthy balanced partnership.
“We have a good relationship,” Mond said. “No matter who’s the starter or who’s playing, we’ve both got to lead and make sure we are at our best to help this team.”
As for the next few days, both quarterbacks will be operating as if they were the starter once kickoff comes around on Aug. 30 at 7:30 against Northwestern State.

• Head coach Jimbo Fisher said he would be ‘confident’ with either Nick Starkel or Kellen Mond as starting quarterback against Northwestern State.

Photo by Photo by Cassie Stricker
  • Sophomore quarterback Kellen Mond started eight games in the 2017 season and appeared in 11. He and Nick Starkel are the top contestants for the starting quarterback job.

Photo by Photo by Cassie Stricker