Texas A&M pitcher Evan Aschenbeck (53) reacts after the final strikeout after Texas A&M’s win against Texas at the NCAA Bryan-College Station Regional at Olsen Field on Saturday, June 1, 2024. (Chris Swann/The Battalion)
Aggies scrape together 4-2 regional win over Longhorns in extras
Luke White, Sports Editor • June 2, 2024

Olsen Field at Blue Bell Park wasn’t doing Ted Burton any favors in Texas A&M’s NCAA Regional matchup with Texas on Saturday, June 1. The...

Jimbo Fisher introduced as Texas A&M head football coach

Texas A&M head coach Jimbo Fisher lifts up a pair of A&M cowboy boots that were given to him as a gift after being introduced as new head coach.

The Jimbo Fisher era at Texas A&M has officially begun.
As Fisher approached the podium for the first time to speak since he resigned from Florida State last Friday, he greeted those in attendance with an resonating “Howdy.”
Almost two years to the month after accepting his role as athletic director, Scott Woodward said what initially brought him to College Station were the chances to achieve an infinite amount of success in every program at A&M.
Woodward said bringing Fisher to A&M is just another confirmation that Aggieland has what it takes to attract high profile coaches who have had previous success.
“Today, I stand before you with proof that Texas A&M is an opportunity for greatness as we welcome one of the nation’s top football coaches to our Aggie family,” Woodward said.
Woodward said there has never been a better time for A&M to take the next step in regards to its future.
“He is the right coach, at the right time for Texas A&M,” Woodward said. “I am confident that greatness is right around the corner.”
Fisher said he was excited and thankful to be in College Station due to his longstanding admiration for the university and its traditions.
“It’s truly a great honor and privilege to be standing here in front of you in Aggieland today, it really is,” Fisher said. “I’ve always admired Texas A&M from afar and appreciated what it had.”
A&M prides itself in being one of the friendliest campuses and universities in the world, and according to Fisher, A&M is second to none. Fisher said the reception he has had in Aggieland has made him and his family feel right at home.
“In the short amount of time that I’ve been here …The people here are incredible,” Fisher said. “I don’t know if I’ve been around a nicer group of people who are professional and make you feel more welcome. It feels like I’ve been here for two years already.”
Fisher said the key for the overall success of a program lies with the strong relationship and cohesion of the administration and its head coach. Fisher said Woodward provides that unity at A&M, which was one of the major reasons he decided to take the job.
“You can have the greatest coaches in the world, but if your administration doesn’t see things the way you see things and allow you to do things that way, nothing can be achieved. There’s a oneness to everything you do to be successful,” Fisher said. “I knew [Woodward] had the same visions I did.”
A&M is known for its tradition and spirit, but Fisher said as much as he heard about it from other people, there was nothing
to be successful,” Fisher said. “I knew [Woodward] had the same visions I did.”
A&M is known for its traditions and spirit, but Fisher said as much as he heard about it from other people, there was nothing like experiencing it for himself. Last night, Fisher was at the women’s basketball game exploring the traditions A&M offers — even “sawing ‘em off” with animal science senior Rachael Fargerson.
“Being here, I don’t have to tell y’all that, there’s no doubt, it is everything I envisioned and more,” Fisher said. “The amount of pride that I see in people at this school — they told me when I got here that it was going to be different — you hear that everywhere, I feel it though. Your actions [traditions and culture] speak so loud I can’t hear what everyone else is saying.”
Fisher was introduced to A&M as the head coach of the football program in the Kyle Field’s Hall of Champions by A&M System Chancellor John Sharp, Board of Regents Chairman Charles W. Schwartz, University President Michael K. Young and Woodward.

A&M lured Fisher to Aggieland with a historic contract. The $7.5 million a year deal that spans 10 years is fully guaranteed. It is the single most largest contract in college football history in terms of total value. In addition, Fisher will become the third-highest paid coach in college football on a yearly basis.
Young said he is always hesitant when he utilizes money from the university and its respective departments, regardless of the person.
“Anytime I spend money on behalf of this university, there’s a lot of nervousness,” Young said. “That’s certainly true of a coach, it’s true when I hire an administrator, a professor, give scholarship money. None of this is state money, none of this is tuition money but nevertheless still a responsibility, to ensure that we’re spending it in a place that brings the kind of excellences that the institution deserves.”
Fisher, who won a national title with Florida State, said he knows what is expected of him and what he needs to do during his 10-year tenure at A&M.
“I understand that I come in here with great expectations,” Fisher said. “I say this diligently, your expectations will never be greater than mine. I promise you that.”