Jimbo Fisher’s top five wins during his tenure at Florida State

Photo by Andrew Salinero/FSView

Jimbo Fisher was 83 – 23 in eight years as FSU’s head coach, including a national title in 2014. 

Jimbo Fisher led The Seminoles to 83 victories over eight seasons, including a national championship and three ACC titles. Here’s a look at Fisher’s top wins as a head coach:
1. Florida State 34, Auburn 31 – 2014
Considering Jimbo Fisher is one of only four current coaches with a national championship to his name, it is no surprise the Seminoles’ last-second win over Auburn in the 2014 BCS Championship tops this list. Auburn took a late lead on a 37-yard touchdown run by Tre Mason. Then Jameis Winston found Kelvin Benjamin in the end zone with 13 seconds left, propelling Fisher to his first title as a head coach. Fisher coached a great game, as he led his team to a come-from-behind win. A gutsy fake punt call in the second quarter was crucial to keep the Seminoles in the game and set the stage for the fourth-quarter comeback.
2. Florida State 31, Notre Dame 27 – 2014
Winston engineered one of his trademark second-half comebacks in this game, as the Seminoles took down the No. 5 Fighting Irish in thrilling fashion. Winston was at his best when it mattered, throwing for 273 yards and two touchdowns. The win marked Florida State’s 23rd victory in a row, a streak that would not be broken until the CFB Playoff at the end of that year.
3. Florida State 31, Northern Illinois 10 – 2013
Fisher’s team outplayed a pesky Northern Illinois squad in the 2013 Orange Bowl to win his first BCS bowl game as a head coach. The Huskies, playing the role of Cinderella that year, threw every trick they had at the ‘Noles, including a fake punt and an onside kick, but in the end Florida State was too overpowering. The Seminoles racked up over 500 yards of total offense and ended the season on a high note after starting the season with national title aspirations.
4. Florida State 51, Clemson 14 – 2013
The No. 3 Tigers were expected to be the Seminoles’ biggest test in the 2013 national championship season, but FSU thoroughly dominated from start to finish. Winston threw for 444 yards and four touchdowns as the ‘Noles scored at least 10 points in every quarter of the drubbing. The Seminoles defense stifled Clemson’s Heisman hopeful Tajh Boyd all night, forcing four turnovers en route to a victory.
5. Florida State 33, Michigan 32 – 2016
Three regular season losses kept FSU out of the CFB Playoff last year, but Fisher rallied the troops to finish the season strong with a tight win over Michigan in the Orange Bowl. Dalvin Cook exploded for over 200 all-purpose yards and a touchdown in his last collegiate game as the ‘Noles held off a late Michigan comeback attempt. The postseason victory broke Fisher’s two game bowl losing streak and ended up being the last big win of Jimbo’s garnet and gold career.