Johnny Manziel signs Canadian Football League contract

Photo by Photo by Cassie Stricker

Johnny Manziel served as quarterback for both teams.

Saturday morning, former Texas A&M quarterback and Heisman Trophy winner Johnny Manziel announced on Twitter that he would be signing a contract with the Canadian Football league.

Manziel also appeared on the Barstool Sports podcast to talk more about his decision to go north and continue playing football.
“I’m here today to make a big announcement about my life,” Manziel said. “I am formally signing in the CFL. I have decided to sign with the Hamilton Tiger-Cats. I will be up here for what looks like two years.”
In the video, Manziel said the main reason he decided to sign with the Tiger Cats was to get back to being on a football field.
“Getting back to playing ball, thats what it comes down to thats what I miss doing,” Manziel said. 
The video shows Manziel talking to the camera in a building which according to Manziel is along the Canadian border. 
“Big day for me,” Manziel said. “No longer unemployed. Getting what I love to do.”
In March, at the 2018 Texas A&M Pro Day, Manziel said if he didn’t get any offers from an NFL team to join them, he said he would go to the CFL.
“If something pops up, then it pops up,” Manziel said. “If not, I’m going to go play in the CFL and things are going to be fine. One way or another, one day down the line, I’ll get back to exactly where I want to be. I’m not going to stop ‘till I do.”
The Tiger-Cats open their 2018 Training Camp on May 20. On June 1, they open the season on the road against Calgary.