Kaser returns for ‘unfinished business’

Photo by Tim Lai

Drew Kaser waits for autographs to sign at Fan Appreciation Day on Saturday, August 22nd. 

Senior punter Drew Kaser has compiled a collegiate career at Texas A&M that has reestablished the standard for Aggie special teams players.

Kaser was recruited out of Ohio in high school, where he was ranked as the No. 4 punter and No. 38 kicker in the nation by Kohl’s Specialty Camps. As a true freshman in 2011, Kaser only saw the field in one game but was still able to record a team season-high punt of 68 yards.

Following a redshirt year in 2012, the specialist was primed to make a serious impact for A&M in 2013. The Strongsville native proved the A&M recruitment staff right as he had a breakout year for the Aggies, tearing down records left and right.

Kaser led the SEC in the 2013 season with a 47.4 punt average, breaking the A&M record previously held by Shane Lechler, nine-time NFL All-Pro. His highlight season led to him earning first team All-SEC honors and All-American status. He was also named as a finalist for the Ray Guy award, which is awarded to the nation’s best punter.

Along with all of the awards and honors in Kaser’s sophomore season came a multitude of popularity among the 12th Man. Fans even created a Heisman campaign for the punter. The movement caught fire when a viral video highlighting ‘Kaser4Heisman’ tallied up over 60,000 views on YouTube.

“It was pretty wild, some games I would be looking up in the student section and I could see ‘Kaser4Heisman’ flags or towels,” Kaser said. “I remember at one point I started hearing a ‘Kaser’ chant, I was out on the field and was like, ‘Did I really hear that?’ Then I went to the sidelines and my teammates told me that that’s what it was.”

In the midst of all of the fandomonium and exciting play that went on in the 2013 season, Kaser had the most memorable experiences in his career. During the Aggies matchup with Alabama, when Johnny Manziel connected with Mike Evans for a 95-yard touchdown, Kaser said he truly felt the full effect of the 12th Man.

“I was going out to hold for the PAT and I looked back at Taylor, the kicker, and he couldn’t hear me,” Kaser said. “I was yelling at the top of my lungs to my snapper and he couldn’t hear me so we had to go on all hand signals because it was so loud.”

Although it wasn’t a moment centered on Kaser, he said the atmosphere at that moment would be impossible to recreate.

Coming to Texas A&M in 2011, Kaser has had the privilege to compete in two different conferences. In addition to the transition to the SEC, he has been a part of the program during many changes, namely the renovation of Kyle Field.

“With the finishing off of the stadium, I think it’s going to be one of the best venues in all of college football,” Kaser said.

Due to Kaser’s success in his three years of eligibility at Texas A&M, he had the option of opting out of his redshirt senior year and taking his game to the next level. After finishing as a finalist for the Ray Guy award in his sophomore season, Kaser was named as a semifinalist following his junior season. But the feeling of coming so close yet falling short does not sit well with the All-American.

“That’s one of my goals,” Kaser said. “That’s one of the reasons that I came back is that I had some unfinished business that I want to take care of and one of them was wanting to win the Ray Guy and bring it back to A&M.”

Looking ahead, the senior said he has a few games circled on the schedule that he is especially excited to play in.

“Definitely the opening game here at Kyle Field. I think that’s going to be very special — a night game, as well as the start of my last season here at Kyle Field. I think that’s going to be something special,” Kaser said. “Then, for sure, the Western Carolina game just because it’s my last game on Kyle Field and I think it’s going to be emotional, I think it’s going to be a hell of a game for me.”

There have been a lot of moving parts with the A&M football program this offseason, but one thing that can be expected to remain consistent is the solid play from No. 38. In addition to his own self-confidence, Kaser has no doubt that the Aggies will be strong contenders in the SEC and will be a tough matchup for anyone on their schedule.

“I think our team has come a long way,” said Kaser. “We have great team chemistry, leaders are stepping up, we’ve really developed this summer in the weight room.”
Kaser and the Aggies will kickoff the 2015 season on Sept. 5 when they face off against the Arizona State Sun Devils at NRG Stadium in Houston, Texas.

• Drew Kaser smiles after signing an autograph during Fan Appreciation Day on Saturday, August 22nd. 

Photo by Tim Lai
  • Drew Kaser’s banner hangs above the ticket office outside of Kyle Field. 

Photo by Tim Lai