Technology management sophomore Ashley Mendoza and communication junior Madeline Sturm work at the MSC Help Desk on Monday, Nov. 20, 2023. (Kyle Heise/The Battalion)
University classes canceled due to IT outage
An error released in an update to Windows devices has shut down A&M’s technology network

Shalina Sabih July 15, 2024

Kennedy fired after eight seasons as men’s basketball head coach

Photo by Photo by: Morgan Engel

Head Coach Billy Kennedy led the Aggies to their first Sweet 16 appearance in 9 years (previous appearances ’69, ’80, ’07), but was not able to become the first coach to reach the Elite 8. 

Texas A&M athletics director Scott Woodward announced Friday that men’s basketball coach Billy Kennedy would not return for the 2019-20 season in College Station.
Kennedy’s firing comes after a report from the Houston Chronicle that said a “person with knowledge of the situation” said Kennedy would be let go after the Aggies’ exit from the SEC tournament in Nashville. A&M posted a 14-18 overall finish that included a 6-12 SEC record in 2018.
“Billy’s tenure included some great memories and remarkable achievements,” Woodward said. “He represented our program and Texas A&M University with distinction. Without question, Billy Kennedy is a first-class person. On behalf of Aggies everywhere, my thanks to Billy and his family for his service to Texas A&M. I wish him the very best.”
In his tenure, Kennedy led A&M to two Sweet Sixteen appearances in the NCAA tournament in 2016 and 2018 in addition to three 20-win seasons. He also coached six players into the NBA ranks, including first-round draft choice Robert Williams III and current all-star Khris Middleton. Kennedy had a 151-116 record as head coach.
Kennedy said he and his family are grateful for their time as Aggies and the impact the Aggie family has had on their lives.
“The memories we have made are only possible because of the players, coaches, staff and administration that have been on this journey with us,” Kennedy said. “I am especially grateful to Bill Byrne for making the first call, to Eric Hyman for staying the course, and to Scott Woodward for continuing to believe. I am grateful that God called me to Aggieland and blessed me with the opportunity to enjoy great moments in Aggie history while here. This is a special place and it has been a blessing to represent this university.”
A nationwide search for the next head coach of the A&M men’s basketball program is currently being conducted.