Kyle Allen: This offense can work against any defense

Kyle+Allen
Photo by File
Kyle Allen

On Saturday, 364 days removed from one of the worst losses in A&M history, the Aggies have a chance to turn the season on its head again — but in a good way. A win over Alabama on Saturday would put A&M at the forefront of playoff and SEC title contention. 

“We’re just going to treat this like any other week,” said Kyle Allen, sophomore starting quarterback. “This is a good opponent. It will be a good test for us, but it is the SEC. You play teams like this every single week.”

Allen witnessed last year’s game in Tuscaloosa. But in 2015, Allen said too much has changed for the Aggies to be worried about what happened in the past.

“This is a completely different team,” Allen said. “We don’t really think of anything from last year’s team … a lot of new people … The mindset is a lot different. We are a lot more mentally and physically tough. That was one of the main things we focused on in the offseason, and I think you can see that has changed.”

Not only do they have to be mentally and physically strong, but the young Aggies will also have to maintain their gametime composure and control their adrenaline. Allen said while it is difficult to quell those feelings in a big game like this, the team knows how to deal with it and focus on the task at hand — beating Alabama.

“It’s tough. Any time when you come into Kyle Field and play against a top-10 opponent, you are going to have emotions running wild,” Allen said. “But, as a team, I think we are really good at controlling that and being emotionally ready for the game, but not too emotionally ready. We keep our emotions in check, but we have the energy there.”

Alabama’s defense promises a challenge for the A&M offensive line, but Allen said his offense can still move the ball on anyone.

“We’re very excited as an entire offense,” Allen said. “We know this offense can work against any defense. We just have to produce and be ready. We just have to prepare well during the week, and I think we’re doing a good job getting ready for Saturday. I think we’ll be alright.”

A big key to the game will be the turnover battle, something the Aggies have managed to win consistently this season. Winning the turnover battle is not just about the defense forcing them, but more about the offense making sure they keep a hold on it. Allen said that is where he has improved the most through the first five games of the season. 

“I think my biggest thing is taking care of the ball and not turning the ball over,” Allen said. “I think it shows over the last three or four games that I have been trying a lot harder to take care of the ball. I think one of the main reasons we’ve won is because we are winning the turnover battle. That has been the biggest area I have gotten better at this year.”