Kyler Murray to start against South Carolina Saturday

Kyler+Murray
Photo by File
Kyler Murray

True freshman Kyler Murray will be the starting quarterback for the Aggies on Saturday against South Carolina, per Texags’ Billy Liucci.

The former 5-star recruit and three-time state champion from Allen High School will be making his first career collegiate start, although he has taken snaps in five of the Aggies seven games thus far.  

It seemed as though Murray was destined to relieve starter Kyle Allen last weekend against Ole Miss, but it was later reported that he was being disciplined for exchanging words with offensive coordinator Jake Spavital on the sidelines during the Alabama game. Spavital, however, said that episode was in the past during Tuesday’s press conference.

Murray has done the most damage this year with his legs – he has averaged 5.1 yards per carry on the ground – but he has also completed 17-of-31 pass attempts for 167 yards, a touchdown and two interceptions.
So far this season, Murray has only been used in certain situations that fit his skill set. It will be interesting to see if he can get on the same page with his receivers from the beginning, and hopefully put an end to the Aggies current two-game skid.