LaCamera named SEC Special Teams POW after key performance against Florida

Photo by Photo by C. Morgan Engel

Junior kicker Daniel LaCamera concentrates as he attempts an extra point kick against Louisiana-Lafayette 

Kicker Daniel LaCamera was named SEC Special Teams Player of the Week Monday morning. The junior was 4-of-4 on field goals last Saturday against Florida, making three in the fourth quarter, including the game-winner with 58 seconds left.
“We knew coming into this game it was going to be a big field goal game,” LaCamera said. “I try not think it’s bigger than any other kick, it feels great to do it.”
A native of Tarpon Springs, Florida – north of Tampa Bay – the game against the Gators was one that had been marked on LaCamera’s calendar for a while. With 16 tickets to the game, there were many in the stands supporting him.
“He’s a Florida boy and he had his family here today,” A&M head coach Kevin Sumlin said. “He has grown up a lot.  The weather was perfect and I’m really happy for him to do that in front of his family.”
On a night when the A&M offense was held to a season-low 263 total yards, LaCamera’s ability to still put points on the board for the Aggies was critical in coming away with a win.
“He was perfect all night and kicked some big time kicks and was able to set us up to win the game,” junior wide receiver Christian Kirk said.”
Ben Hill Griffin Stadium provided a rambunctious atmosphere with 86,114 fans never ceasing to create an easy environment for the Aggies. LaCamera though noted that playing at Kyle Field each week allowed him to stay poised in the key moments.
“The 12th Man down at Kyle Field, they really helped me out in this situation because they are a lot louder than this stadium,” LaCamera said. “Florida has great fans, but there is nothing like the 12th Man.”

• Senior punter Shane Tripucka celebrates with junior kicker Daniel LaCamera after a successful extra point.

Photo by Photo by C. Morgan Engel