Lawrence’s fantasy corner: week five

Week 5 was a roller coaster for fantasy owners. From Jamaal Charles tearing his ACL, to Le’Veon Bell scoring on the last play of the game and helping owners to last-ditch victories.

Studs:

Josh McCown (Cleveland): The villain around Cleveland who has been booed recently in favor of Manziel proved doubters wrong for at least one game. The veteran QB threw for 457 yards and had 3 total TDs in a victory over Baltimore. McCown tossed a pair of TDs while also adding a third one rushing. The former backup finished the day with a whopping 35 fantasy points. Despite not always leading the Browns to victory this season, his fantasy numbers have been good the last three weeks. If you have been starting him though, it’s time to make a change. The next four weeks McCown faces the stout defenses of the Broncos, Rams, Cardinals and Bengals.

Doug Martin (Tampa Bay Buccaneers): The running back who lit up fantasy in 2012 with a 52 point game, looked like he was back to his former self on Sunday. Martin ran for 123 yards and 2 TDs while also catching three passes for 35 yards and a TD. Martin posted 33 fantasy points and has a bye week this week. After that, Martin is a must start as he faces weak defenses for the next month against the Redskins, Falcons, Giants and Cowboys.

Other studs: Andy Dalton (Cincinnati), Devonta Freeman (Atlanta), Justin Forsett (Baltimore), Antonio Gates (San Diego)

Adds:

Gary Barnidge (Cleveland): From being relatively unknown to NFL fans, to being the number three ranked tight end in fantasy, Gary Barnidge seems to be the real deal. Barnidge posted 19 points on Sunday against the Ravens. He has become Josh McCown’s favorite target. Over the last three games Barnidge has 20 receptions for 319 yards and 3 TDs. Barnidge is a must add in all fantasy leagues.

Charcandrick West (Kansas City): Now that Jamaal Charles is out for the season, West seems to be the favorite as his replacement. If possible add him and Knile Davis if you have enough roster spots available. West has been backing up Charles since he went down so it looks as if he will get the nod to start the next game.

Other adds: Christine Michael (Dallas): Knile Davis (Kansas City), Blake Bortles (Jacksonville):  Allen Hurns (Jacksonville)

Busts:

Eddie Lacy (Green Bay): A top five pick in most leagues this season, Lacy hasn’t shown us his true potential. Lacy put up two points against the Rams on Sunday and hasn’t seen double digit points since week one. The former Alabama back ran for a measly 27 yards off of 13 carries. Lacy’s numbers should begin to increase as he sees a better work load as the season goes on. Lacy hasn’t reached 20 carries in a game yet so he hasn’t been able to truly break out.

Jimmy Graham (Seattle): DISAPPOINTING and INCONSISTENT are a pair of good adjectives to describe Graham so far this season. Fantasy owners every knew it was a slight gamble drafting him early but no one thought the former TD machine would do this poorly. A lack of targets is Graham’s biggest problem. Seattle just won’t give him the opportunity to shine. Graham had 3 receptions for 30 yards and 3 points on Sunday against the Bengals. In week’s one and three, Graham had 11 and 14 points which looks good, but in the other three weeks combined, Graham has a total of five points which is just sad. At 6’7 the Seahawks surely need to integrate Graham into the offense instead of using him mainly as a blocker. His numbers should increase as the season goes on. Especially because the Seahawks are 2-3 and need something to spark their offense.

Other busts: Randall Cobb (Green Bay), Antonio Brown (Pittsburgh), C.J. Anderson (Denver)

Aggie Fantasy:

Josh Lambo (San Diego): The most accurate kicker in A&M history did well Sunday scoring 10 fantasy points. Lambo didn’t make all of his field goals going 2-3, but did make a 54 yarder which equaled 5 fantasy points.

Martellus Bennett (Chicago): Bennett made four catches for 32 yards and scored 3 fantasy points. Even though Bennett didn’t have the best outing, he still saw 11 targets and continues to be Jay Cutler’s favorite target.