A&M welcomes new journalism professors from CNN, Dallas Morning News
Ana Renfroe and Stacy Cox April 19, 2024

At a ceremony honoring Aggie journalists, Texas A&M announced it will welcome three new journalism professors in the fall. New hires will...

Texas A&M outfielder Jace Laviolette (17) hits a home run during Texas A&M’s game against The United States Air Force Academy on Tuesday, April 16, 2024 at Olsen Field. (Hannah Harrison/The Battalion)
No. 1 Aggies combine for 28 runs in doubleheader sweep of Crimson Tide
Luke White and Justin ChenApril 19, 2024

Game 1 If the Texas A&M baseball team can treat each inning like it’s been playing in the fifth frame during the past week, it shouldn’t...

Members of the 2023-2024 Aggie Muster Committee pose outside the Jack K. Williams Administration Building. (Photo courtesy of Aggie Muster Committee)
Orchestrating a century-old tradition
Sydnei Miles, Head Life & Arts Editor • April 18, 2024

As Muster approaches, the Aggie Muster Committee works to organize a now century-old tradition. These students “coordinate every facet” of...

(Graphic by Ethan Mattson/The Battalion)
Opinion: ‘Fake Money,’ real change
Eddie Phillips, Opinion Writer • April 19, 2024

Us Aggies live privileged existences: companies beg us to take on tens of thousands in loans.  I know this may sound contradictory, but the...

Led by JC Roddick, A&M men’s tennis dominates the Oklahoma State Invitational

Photo by Connor May

Sophomore Giulio Perego hits the ball at the Mitchell Outdoor Tennis Center on April 1, 2023.

They say first impressions are important and the No. 19 Texas A&M men’s tennis team sure proved it by starting out its fall season strong, accumulating a combined singles and doubles record of 15-3 in the Oklahoma State Invitational.

The winning effort paid off, as the Maroon and White won the event’s Big 12/SEC Challenge.

Junior JC Roddick was the star of the show, going 6-0 on his way to winning tournament MVP. Coach Steve Denton said that the Invitational was the perfect event to start the season.

“I thought this was just what we needed for early season competition,” Denton said. “Our doubles and singles were pretty solid as our fundamentals improved over the three days. Some great takeaways from the tournament are that all four guys can go back home and work even more. I am happy for JC [Roddick] who was named the MVP as he continued to play better each and every match this weekend.”

Day 1 of the Invitational opened up with doubles play against No. 44 Oklahoma State. Sophomore Togan Tokac and junior Giulio Perego scored the first win for the Aggies, defeating Cowboys sophomore Alessio Basile and graduate

Alex Garcia in 6-3, 6-2 bout. Junior Luke Casper and Roddick ended Day 1 doubles with a 7-5, 6-2 victory over Oklahoma State freshman Erik Schiessl and Carl Roothman.

Day 1 continued with singles play, with the Aggies matching up against No. 31 Texas Tech. Perego set the tone early with a 6-0, 7-6 win over Red Raiders junior Tyler Stewart. Though Tokac dropped his set to Texas Tech freshman

Jonas Gundacker, Roddick and Casper closed out the day with wins, giving the Maroon and White a 5-1 record through Day 1.

A&M’s second day was its strongest, going 6-0 in singles and doubles play and against No. 43 Baylor. Perego and Tokac tamed the Bears early on with a 6-3, 6-2 set win against Baylor sophomore Martin Breysach and junior Oskar

Brostrom. Casper and Roddick followed suit, closing out doubles play in a 6-2, 7-5 victory over Bears freshman Louis Bowden and Marko Miladinović.

In singles play of Day 2, all of A&M’s players lassoed in wins against Oklahoma State players to push their Invitational record to 11-1.

In the final day of play, A&M doubles swept Texas Tech en route to a perfect record in doubles play in the event. Perego and Tokac defeated junior Sebastian Abboud and Stewart with a final match score of 8-2. Casper and Roddick took down junior Takeyasu Sekiguchi and Gundacker in a 8-4 bout.

Though the Maroon and White dropped two singles matches against Baylor, Tokac and Roddick opened and closed out the event with a win, respectively.

Continuing its fall campaign of the season, the men’s tennis team will resume action from Sept. 30-Oct. 8 for ITA All-American play in Tulsa, Oklahoma.