Texas A&Ms attendance for the Alabama game was at 108,101 fans ranking it at the third largest game in Kyle Field history.(Ishika Samant/The Battalion)
‘The Mexican 12th Man’

Growing up in the hills of Monterrey, Mexico, Pedro and Carlos Luna were surrounded by soccer.  Clad in the gold and blue of Tigres UANL,...

Linda Cornelius leaves lasting legacy at A&M

Photo by Courtesy of Tyler Pounds / Texas A&M Athletic Communications

Former track and field athlete, Linda Cornelius made history as the first female inductee in Texas A&M’s Athletics Hall of Fame. 

Legendary Texas A&M pentathlon runner Linda Cornelius passed away on Tuesday after a hard-fought battle with cancer.
Cornelius made history at A&M by becoming the first female student-athlete inducted into the school’s Athletics Hall of Fame. Before graduating in 1979, Cornelius was a four-year letter winner in track and field, becoming the first female athlete in the sport to earn All-American honors.
The pentathlon runner also earned a spot on the 1980 U.S. Olympic Team but ultimately could not compete due to the United States boycotting the Moscow Olympic Games.
After graduating, Cornelius stayed involved with the Bryan-College Station community, serving as a member of the Texas A&M Lettermen’s Association Board of Directors and eventual director of the Bryan Parks & Recreation and Facilities.
Across her impressive career, Cornelius garnered multiple accolades, including the Texas Amateur Athletic Federation, or T.A.A.F, President Award, the Texas Recreation and Parks Society President’s Award and a spot in the T.A.A.F. Hall of Fame.