Longtime A&M radio announcer Dave South to receive Chris Schenkel Award

Photo by Photo by Cassie Stricker

Dave South announced his first Aggie football game in 1985.
Over the years, South has also announced baseball and basketball. 

Former longtime Texas A&M football radio play-by-play announcer Dave South will receive the 2018 Chris Schenkel Award presented by the National Football Foundation and the College Football Hall of Fame at the NFF Annual Awards Dinner in New York City on Dec. 4.
South completed his 33rd and final season calling Aggie football in 2017 after spending 47 total years as a college announcer. He also called his final men’s basketball game back in March.
“Dave South spent more than three decades as the iconic Voice of the Aggies, becoming part of Texas A&M football lore while broadcasting to one of the most avid fanbases in the country,” said NFF President & CEO Steve Hatchell in a statement. “We are pleased to honor him with the 2018 NFF Chris Schenkel Award in recognition of his distinguished career.”
Still, South continues to be the voice of Aggie baseball and will not retire from calling games on the diamond after this season.
It is yet to be announced who will replace South as A&M’s radio play-by-play man for football and men’s basketball beginning with next season.