Maggie Malone, Ameer Webb named to Team USA Track and Field

Maggie+Malone
Photo by Errol Anderson
Maggie Malone

After 10 grueling days of competition, the 2016 Track and Field Olympic Trials in Eugene, Oregon have come to a close with several Aggies qualifying for Rio.  
With the conclusion of the trials on Sunday, the final tally of A&M track athletes going to Rio were 14 former and current athletes.
Saturday, senior Maggie Malone took the crown in the javelin punching her ticket to Rio. Malone won the event with a throw that measured 199 feet, 7 inches.
With the victory in Eugene, Malone is the first female javelin thrower to earn the crown at the NCAA Championships and Olympic Trials in the same season. Malone’s performance will go down in history as the second best mark in Olympic Trial history extending the field eight-plus feet.
Malone told 12thman.com that she couldn’t believe that she had earned the right to compete for the Stars and Stripes in Rio, but was thankful for the opportunity to do so. F
“This has been the most incredible journey,” Malone told 12thman.com. “I have the greatest coaches in the world and a great support system. It’s surreal to be here and say that I’m going to Rio.”
Former Texas A&M Ameer Webb, who placed third after a time of 20.00 second in the 200-meter final. Webb donned the maroon and white in 2013 where he was the 200m NCAA Champion.

• Ameer Webb

Photo by Errol Anderson