Neil Jhurani, Sports Writer • May 23, 2024

A warm, summer evening bestowed Hoover, Alabama on Wednesday night when the No. 4 Texas A&M Aggies faced the No. 15 Mississippi State Bulldogs...

Manziel signs with Alliance of American Football

Photo by Cassie Stricker

Johnny Manziel was invited to throw for the wide receivers.

Former Texas A&M quarterback and Heisman Trophy winner Johnny Manziel has signed with the Alliance of American Football and its Standard Player Agreement after being barred from the Canadian Football League last month, according to ESPN’s Adam Schefter.
Alliance of American Football places players with the professional team that is closest to the college that player competed with. The San Antonio Commanders were the first to Manziel’s rights in the AAF, but released his college allocation rights after he signed.
This move comes after AAF chairman Tom Dundon told USA Today’s Kevin Allen and Tom Schad that Manziel was offered a workout for the league. Co-Founder Charlie Ebersol also stated that the former Cleveland Browns signal caller would have to be cleared by the league’s standards in order to see the field.
According to Schefter, since the Commanders released his rights, the team with the lowest win-loss percentage is the first team that can claim Manziel off of waivers. The Memphis Express (1-5) will be the first team to take the former NFLer off of waivers after already playing quarterbacks Christian Hackenberg and Zach Mettenberger.