Maroon come out on top in spring game, defense in white show experience and make it close

Photo by Photo by: Morgan Engel

Senior Transfer Trevor Knight scrambles during the Spring Game. Knight found the endzone three total times.

27,412 fans were on hand Saturday night to watch the Maroon and White Texas A&M Spring Game. The game finished with the offense in Maroon coming out on top of the defense in white 42-38.
The game was scored differently than a typical game with seven points for a touchdown with no extra point. Field goals were the same format. For the defense the scoring system included: One point for a 3-and-out, two points for a sack, three points for a missed field goal or turnover, three points for a third-down stop and six points for a fourth-down stop.
The teams played a total of 104 snaps during the game and transfer quarterback Trevor Knight showcased his abilities for the first time in a game-like scenario in front of fans. Knight completed 25-of-36 passes for 282 yards and three total touchdowns (two passing and one rushing) with one interception.
  Offensive coordinator Noel Mazzone did not call offensive plays. The other offensive coaches and graduate assistants all rotated the responsibility. The defense in white managed to score 38 points off of sacks, three-and-outs, and turnovers.
Quarterback Jake Hubenak, who is battling Knight for the starting job, played minimally due to flu-like symptoms. The former Blinn star finished the day 5-for-10 with 33 yards passing.
A&M head coach Kevin Sumlin said he was pleased with both of his quarterbacks performance’s after the game.
“[Knight] got more snaps then we wanted him to get,” Sumlin said. “Jake was under the weather and was throwing up [earlier]. He still went in and had a couple series. Trevor operated from the pocket and was able to extend plays and move with his legs. He was pretty accurate when he did it. I thought the quarterbacks were pretty efficient.”
When asked whether he had seen enough to make a decision on a starter Sumlin said there is no specific timetable for when a starter will be named.
“”I don’t know. We’ll see. I have to watch the video. I had a bad angle. We’ll see.”
Armani Watts picked off Knight during the first series of the game. Senior defensive back Will Paulhill led the team with 8 total tackles and defensive end Daeshon Hall had a solid day, finishing with 3 tackles, a sack and a TFL.
Sumlin said the defense has improved mightily under John Chavis, who is entering his second year as defensive coordinator.
“I think without a doubt we have more experienced players on defense,” Sumlin said. “We have a number of NFL players on defense, about half of them. And that’s without Donovan Wilson playing nickel. Those guys have played a lot of snaps.”
Senior walk-on Boone Niederhofer caught two scores and riled up the crowd with a punt into the stands after his second touchdown. Speedy Noil finished the day as the leader of the receiving crew with three receptions for 60 yards, which included a 36 yard touchdown from Christian Kirk who threw the pass on a trick play.
“Mazzone texted me before practice, ‘Get your arm ready. You’re gonna be on ESPN.’”, Kirk said regarding the trick play. “I guess I got voted to do it because I said I could throw. The pass was supposed to go to Josh [Reynolds] but I saw Speedy and let it rip.”
Wide receiver Ricky-Seals Jones said that he has enjoyed working with Mazzone and the receiving corps has improved.
“[Mazzone] is a great coach,” Seals-Jones said. “It’s all about speed, speed, speed and that [tempo] will help us to get defenses tired quickly.”
True freshman running back Trayveon Williams showed his receiving ability with four catches for 48 yards including a 43 yard catch and run. James White, who is expected to be A&M’s lead back come fall finished with 25 yards on four carries. Sophomore Kwame Etwi led the team in rushing with 11 carries for 72 yards and managed to find the endzone on a 31 yard run.
The Aggies will be back in action in 147 days, when they face UCLA in the season opener at Kyle Field

• 27,412 fans were in Kyle Field Saturday night to watch the Aggies’ spring game.

Photo by Photo by: Morgan Engel
  • Junior Damion Ratley hauls in a long pass and runs up field.

Photo by Photo by: Morgan Engel