Media picks A&M to finish third in SEC, Williams named Preseason POY

Photo by Photo by: C. Morgan Engel

Sophomore forward Robert Williams was named Preseason SEC Player of the Year by media members Wednesday morning.

The Texas A&M men’s basketball team was picked to finish third in the SEC, as announced Wednesday morning by the preseason SEC media poll.
A&M was picked behind Kentucky and Florida, respectively. The Wildcats are the reigning SEC Champions, and both Kentucky and Florida advanced to last year’s Elite Eight in the NCAA Tournament.
Sophomore forward Robert Williams finished in a three-way tie for Preseason Player of the Year with Georgia senior forward Yante Maten and Missouri freshman forward Michael Porter Jr.
Williams was also named Preseason First Team All-SEC and is coming off a phenomenal freshman campaign, returning for his second year after forgoing the NBA Draft.
Junior center Tyler Davis was named to the Second Team Preseason All-SEC team.
The Aggies hope to return to the NCAA Tournament after a disappointing 16-15 (8-10 SEC) season in 2016-17, missing the postseason all together. A&M though, returns four starters from last year’s youthful squad.
A&M tips off its 2017-18 campaign Nov. 10 when they travel to the Raimstein Air Force Base in Germany to play West Virginia.