Men’s and women’s tennis hits the road for a pair of tournaments

Tennis
Photo by PROVIDED
Tennis

Both Texas A&M tennis teams are on the road this weekend. The men’s travel to Tulsa, Oklahoma to the ITA All-American, while the women will compete in the Riviera/ITA Women’s All-American Championships in Palisades, California.

The men’s team is coming off an impressive showing at the Conference Challenge last weekend, where the Aggie players combined to win 35 matches in the three-day contest. The women, on the other hand, did not play last weekend. Their last competitive matches came two weeks ago in the Under Armour Baylor Invitational in Waco.

More than 75 different schools will be represented at the ITA Men’s All-American Championships, including nearly all of A&M’s SEC opponents.

The event will start on Oct. 3 and conclude on Oct. 12. The first two days will consist of pre-qualifiers, the qualifying rounds will take place over the course of the next three days and the final five days will consist of the main draw matches. All matches will take place at the University of Tulsa’s Michael D. Case Tennis Center.

Eight Aggies are scheduled to compete in prequalifying singles. Three A&M duos will play in the qualifying doubles, AJ Catanzariti is in the qualifying singles and both Shane Vinsant and Arthur Rinderkneck are slated to play in the main draw singles.

The women’s team will be out on the west coast at the Riviera Tennis Club in Pacific Palisades, California. The tournament will start on the same day as the men’s, but it will wrap up on Oct. 11, one day earlier.
Rachel Pierson and Saska Gavrilovska are slated to compete in the main draw singles, Rutuja Bhosale will play in the qualifying singles and the trio of Anna Mamalat, Ines Deheza and Stefania Hristov will compete in prequalifying singles. The two teams of Eva Paalma and Rachel Pierson, and Ines Deheza and Stefania Hristov, will represent the Aggies in main draw doubles.

• Harrison Adams serves the ball against Oklahoma State University.