Men’s basketball rises to No. 9 in rankings

Photo by Photo by C. Morgan Engel

(left to right) Juniors Tyler Davis and Admon Gilder celebrate with sophomore Robert Williams after a play during A&M’s exhibition game against Texas Oct. 25 in Houston. The game was held to raise money for Rebuild Texas, which benefits hurricane relief efforts. 

In the latest AP Poll released Monday morning, the Texas A&M men’s basketball team was tabbed No. 9, rising seven spots from its ranking last week.
It is the first time the Aggies have been ranked in the top-10 since Feb. 11, 2016 when A&M held the No. 8 spot in the polls en route to a Sweet 16 appearance.
A&M is one of four SEC schools ranked, and one of three in the top-10. The Aggies are just behind No. 6 Florida (5-1) and No. 7 Kentucky (6-1).
Travelling from New York to Los Angeles, the Aggies (6-0) have won five games in the past 10 days, including three double-digit victories over Power 5 opponents all away from home. A&M’s latest victory was a 75-59 victory of then No. 10 USC Sunday night on the road.
All six of the Aggies’ victories have come by double-digits, and A&M has an average margin of victory of 17.0 points.
According to Warren Nolan, A&M is currently No. 1 in RPI and has the No. 3 Strength of Schedule.
Five players are averaging over 10 points per game, led by junior forward D.J. Hogg, who is scoring 16.8 points per contest. Hogg has been hot from deep, shooting 52.5 percent from three-point range.
A&M returns to action this Thursday as the Aggies host UT-Rio Grande Valley at 7 p.m.