No one involved with Texas A&M baseball ever believed they were going to lose.  Despite being down 6-1 to Tennessee by the end of the...

Men’s basketball travels to Baton Rouge to take on LSU

Photo by Photo by Cassie Stricker

Ole Miss forward Bruce Stevens and DJ Hogg wait for the rebound.

After dropping five straight games to start SEC play, A&M men’s basketball team rattled off two key wins and ride a winning streak into Tuesday’s road contest against LSU. The Tigers and Aggies have already met this season on Jan. 6 when LSU came back to beat A&M 69-68.
Now looking forward, A&M head coach Billy Kennedy said he hopes to have a better outing against the Tigers since last time didn’t go according to their game plan.
“I think we’re a better team than the first time we played them,” Kennedy said. “They’ve got some weapons that we’re aware of, Duop Reath is playing well for him and you also have to know about Tremont Waters, I don’t think we’ll ever forget about him.”
A&M is led by junior center Tyler Davis, junior forward DJ Hogg, and junior guard Admon Gilder. Davis leads the team in both points and rebounds, averaging 14.4 and 8.6, respectively.
Hogg leads in three-point percentage at 43 percent and is averaging 12.9 points and 6.1 rebounds. Gilder, who recently returned from an injury, is averaging 12.3 points, 4.5 rebounds and 3.1 assists per game.
“It’s really important [to have Tyler Davis], when you go through some tough times,” Kennedy said. “You have to have that voice in the locker room that’s echoing everything we’re saying, and Tyler’s done a real good job of that on the floor and off the floor. “
LSU is led by freshman guard Tremont Waters, who hit the game winning shot the first time these teams met, senior forward Duop Reath, and sophomore guard Skylar Mays.
Waters leads the team in scoring, averaging 15.8 points a game and 5.9 assists. Reath averages 13.4 points a game and 5.6 rebounds, while Mays is averaging 11.7 points and 3.9 rebounds.
“I think our guys are excited to get back on the court and play LSU,” Kennedy said. “We let one get away from us, but you have to give them credit, they made the plays, but we feel like we’re going back there to get a little revenge.”
The game will take place at the Maravich Center in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. Tipoff is scheduled for 8 p.m. and will be televised on ESPNU.