Men’s golf finishes fourth at Tiger Classic

Photo by Photo via 12th Man

Sophomore Chandler Phillips finished tied for 127th at the NCAA Championships. 

On Thursday, the Texas A&M Men’s Golf Team took a last minute trip to Baton Rouge to compete in the Tiger Classic. The team was permitted to add this final tune-up to their schedule before the SEC Championship because their last tournament, the Aggie Invite, was cancelled due to rain. The Aggies finished in 4th place out of a seven team field that included No. 7 LSU and Arkansas who were also preparing for the SEC Championship.

“Not sure if this is what I had envisioned when I signed us up for this tourney, but I do think it will be good for us moving forward,” head coach Higgins told 12thman.com. “It exposed some areas we need improvement and the boys got a taste of how courses are set up for championships. This was as good of prep as we could have asked for heading into the postseason. “

During one day, 36-hole tournament, junior Cameron Champ led the Aggies with under par scores in both of his rounds on Thursday, including an opening round 69, to finish at 4-under par in third place. The junior has played his last six rounds under par and this week marked his second straight top-3 and third of the season.

“Champ played great,” Higgins added. “He was calm and cool all day. He stuck to his game plan and really played with poise. He really has played great this spring.”

Junior Andrew Paysse fired a final round 75 on Thursday afternoon to end his tournament at 9-over par, good for 15th place.

Freshman Josh Gliege (+11) and sophomore Chandler Phillips (+12) finished in a tie for 21st and solo 23rd respectively, while sophomore Brandon Smith rounded out the Aggies squad in a tie for 27th with a total score of 15-over par.

This was the Aggies’ final tournament before competing in the SEC Championship in St. Simons Island, Georgia on April 21-24.