Mike Elko named head coach of A&M football

Photo by Chris Swann/The Battalion

Texas A&M Head Coach Mike Elko points to the band while speaking to media, fans and faculty in Kyle Field on Monday, Nov. 27, 2023. (Chris Swann/The Battalion)

Duke coach Mike Elko was officially named the next head coach of Texas A&M football around 9 a.m. on Monday, Nov. 27, athletic director Ross Bjork announced.
“Coach Mike Elko is one of the best leaders and coaches in college football and has had high-level success at each stop of his career,” Bjork said. “He is known amongst coaching circles as one of the best defensive minds in the country and has shown his ability to lead and turn around a program as a Power 5 head coach.”
Elko, 46, is in his second year leading the Blue Devils and returns to College Station after serving as the Aggies’ defensive coordinator from 2018 to 2021. Duke has gone 16-9 under Elko’s watch, including a 7-5 mark this season while reaching No. 16 in the AP Top 25. The Blue Devils took down Pittsburgh 30-19 to wrap up the regular season.
Following a 3-9 campaign in 2021 with an 0-8 mark in ACC play, Elko led the Blue Devils to a 9-4 record in 2022 with a 5-3 showing in conference action. The overall record improvement was the second-best in ACC history, including the best turnaround in conference play in league history. He was named ACC Coach of the Year for his efforts.
“Coach Elko has a vision for Aggie football, and a specific plan for innovation and greatness which is exactly what our program needs right now to compete in the modern era of college athletics,” Bjork said.
There will be a welcome celebration for the new coach at the Ford Hall of Champions located at Kyle Field at 3 p.m. on Monday, followed by a press conference. The public is invited to attend.
“We are fortunate to attract a head coach of his character, coaching acumen, recruiting experience in the SEC, winning formula, ability to develop players to their full potential and a love and familiarity with Aggieland and our University, which makes him a perfect match,” Bjork said. “We are excited to welcome Coach Elko and his family back to Aggieland and we cannot wait to get started.”
Elko’s second stint in Aggieland comes after spending four seasons as Fisher’s defensive coordinator. In that time, A&M went 34-14 while qualifying for a bowl game each season. The Aggies ranked No. 3 in scoring defense in 2021 as Elko was named a finalist for the Broyles Award for the top assistant coach in college football.
“Director of Athletics Ross Bjork’s unwavering dedication to the success of our athletics program truly hits a high point with this hire,” Interim President Mark A. Welsh III said. “Coach Elko understands that fostering the growth of our student-athletes goes well beyond the playing field. He recognizes a successful athletics program requires nurturing athletic prowess while simultaneously instilling invaluable life skills and preparing them for facing challenges that will come after college. Further, Coach Elko knows Texas A&M and the 12th Man. I’m delighted that we will be welcoming him back to Aggieland. He also happens to be a world-class football coach! Betty and I are excited to welcome both Michelle and him back home.”
The Elko Era will open on Aug. 31, 2024, when Notre Dame visits Kyle Field.